Think I'm learning finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunsplash76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey All~
Well, I feel like I'm doing better for my fish and hope they will subsequently stay alive and be happy even. After my fish died I was getting a little frustrated, but I learned a few things. I added salt to the water and it went well; fish seem to enjoy that. I also figured out that two filters belong in my filter not one :oops: I have had one filter cartridge in there the whole time :oops: The directions never mentioned two filters medias, in fact it was really vague. I put two fresh ones in and it seems cleaner already. I even purchased a powerhead to put current in the water. I'm trying so hard to make sure they have everything to be healthy. The powerhead is an aqua clear and works really wll. I thought it was going to be harder to install. looks weird to see an electrical cord in water, but I'm sure they know what they're doing when making them. The fish are a bit perplexed by the current I think; It's kinda cute. the orange one will swim in it and let it take him away, lol. It doesn't even move the big bumblebee. They'll get used to it in a few days. I wonder if there is anything I'm missing? Learn something new everyday with these fish!
~Melissa~

Hi. Im really glad to hear things are going well. The Aquaclear PH. In my humble opion is the best on the market, They also make a small filter attachment for them if you feel you ever need one.
Yes salt is good as long as your not doing live plants (plants don't like salt)
As far as missing anything I would do some research on your fish and hardware and any future plans. to see if there is anything else you can do.
We all keep learning when you stop Quit the hobbie :lol:

Good luck
EMS503

I am glad you found the PH to be not that big of a challenge.

Your orange cichlid could acutally be enjoying the current. Swimming aganst the current is a form of excercise and letting the current move the fish around could be a form of entertainment.

just remember that not all freshwater fish tolerate salt, always find out about each kind of fish and their tolerance--glad to hear things are going well though! If they are playing in the current they are probably feeling really good--and don't worry too much about leaving out the other filter media--live and learn.... :lol:

Hey, thanks guys for the tips and advice. Being new to the hobby is sometimes frustrating with all that can go wrong & in my case did :evil:
I did another new thing for my fishes yesterday that was probably long over due; I got them some frozen fish food at the pet store. I got frozen spirulina enhanced brine shrimp (spirulina good for cichlids I read) and emerald entree for omnivores, mostly veggies in that one. It was fun to watch them go nuts when I dropped in the brine shrimp. Now, those types of things should only be given 1-2 times a week right? Does anyone have a good rule of thumb on that? I feed a variety of different things to them daily; I have wheat germ and spirulina pellets (Cichlid excel, Hikari) cichlid staple pellets (hikari cichlid) hotmouth cichlid stix and hotmouth flakes. I bought some dried shrimp, but they don't like it. Now the frozen stuff, hope that is varied enough for them. I wouldn't want to eat the same stuff all the time. I was going to get beef heart, but they were out; I also heard food from warm blooded animals liek beef heart may not be good for fish at all? It said something about the fat content and prolonged liver damage or something? I thought it was good for them? hm, guess I'll have to experiment with that one.

The aquaclear PH is doing really well. I'm impressed with it so far. It is rated for 280 GPH, and seems to be doing a good job of moving the water. I re-arranged the tank yesterday (added a rock) and they seemed to like exploring the new niches and stuff. Do fish enjoy having their home changed every once in awhile? Mine seemed to have a ball.

One more question :twisted: I saw a bag of porous ceramic rocks (shaped like little tunnels) in my pet store. The directions said to put it in the filter and bacteria will grow on it and help the tank. It never was specific though. Do you just drop it in behind the filter cartridges or what? It is a form of media was all I gathered. Has anyone ever heard of a bag of ceramic rocks before? Anyone got some of that? I wanted to try it, but not sure how to really use it? It said to wash it in hot water on occasion but not scrub it to keep the bacteria, and replace every 6 months to a year. I was just curious! I know some of you have been doing this for years and may know. Especially crazee who always seems to have a tip or answer when it's needed. Love that! You are awesome, read your post on keeping oscars the other day, and you had as much info as a book on one page. COOL, very cool. I guess I'll get off this thing, thanks all!
~MELISSA~

Well, I have never used the ceramic noodles, but from what i understand you put them in the box of your filter and they provide lots of surface area for the bacteria to grow--but hot water will kill them, so I would suggest a little research in the cleaning area--would make more sense to me to rinse them with lukewarm (dechlorinated ) or tank water to preserve the bacteria, but....again, I have never used them...and I don't see why they would need replacing--they aren't supposed to remove anything from the water are they? If so, then I don't know a danged thing about them! Unless you just want them, you probably don't need them unless you have a heavy fish load in your tank....LOL...oh, and thanks for the compliment :oops: best wishes for your fishes!

Back
Top Bottom