Thinking of buying an established reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nawlins9175

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know someone has a beautiful SW / Reef setup that they need to sell. I am wondering how much work it would be to care for this tank with no experience. I have had a freshwater tank in the past, but I know that the comparison is not exactly valid. I need your advice!

TANK DESCRIPTION

55 gallon saltwater tank with stand and canopy top. There is a ton of live rock and coral star polops, torch coral, bubble coral, lots of mushrooms a few different types of sponge, and some other coral. I dont know what the names are. There are 3 fish: 1 clown and 2 damsels, 1 feather duster, sandstar, 15 snails, a few crabs, sea cucumber. There are 2 maxie jet power heads, brand new bacpak protein skimmer, not sure about the filter but I think it's a good one. 2 metal halide lights (6 month old bulbs) and 2 moon lights. The electric system was professonally wired, there are a ton of extras to go with the tank, the tank has been established for 3 years.

He is asking $850 for the setup......Is this a good price? Can a novice really care for a tank / setup like this?
[/b]

Would this be able to be safely moved and setup? I live across the street from our LFS and this site would be extremely helpful, but I'm worried about being able to do this without the experience.

What else would I need to know?

Questions to ask this guy?

My number one concern would be the wellfare of the fish / coral? I don't want to kill this beautiful tank! I know, like with any hobby, a lot of research, time, and money is required and I'm willing to learn and put in the work, but I want to get as much info as possible before making this decision.

Honest advice and opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• tank_pic_174.jpg
    tank_pic_174.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 155
  • inside_tank_183.jpg
    inside_tank_183.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 158
  • coral_1_933.jpg
    coral_1_933.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 149
  • coral_112.jpg
    coral_112.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 155
Might wanna check out this recent thread...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=662583#662583

The key is reading good articles, books, and asking questions - - be careful though, in my personal opinion it gets kinda old when folks ask about EVERYTHING all the time. It becomes obvious when someone doesn't read much on their own and look for hand holding all the way.

Anyway, enuf of my rant on that. Looks like a decent tank. Not sure I can offer input on the asking price. I had a similar situation with a 72g, stand and all setup stuff I'm trying to sell. No hood, w/4x65PCs lights (cheaper and less output than MH) for about the same price. No livestock either with mine. Not sure If I'm high or low on mine either.

But I like to tell folks to scratch the itch anyway, so I'd so go for it if you get the right price.

Good luck.

What is this persons name, number and address cause I will offer $1000 for the tank.

Really for the equipment along you are getting a deal - nevemide the livestock.

Back
Top Bottom