Thinking of getting a turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. I have a 13gallon tank atm which is purely used for Molly and platy fry. I'm going to get rid of the last 30 or so when they grow abit then I was thinking if getting a mini turtle. Is this tank suitable for a turtle or is it to small? I would be happy with a dwarf species.
I don't know anything really about then so any advice or suggestions of the tank if good enough to house one when it's set up with all the equipment would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is way too small. For turtles you want at least 20gal per turtle and at least twice the filtration required for the tank. Also look into usb lights for the turtles. There is a lot of research needed before going into turtles.

Aquatic Turtles are messy. Very few Turtles are "Mini".
The smallest aquatic Turtles still need a larger tank and can be quite fragile as babies.

They also need haul out areas and UV and Heat lights.

It's not cheap to set up and they are very messy.

I've had Aquatic Turtles. I managed a Reptile store and as I was checking the incubator an RES egg hatched into my hand [emoji173]️
I rescued a hatchling native Turtle as well. Then rescued a starving Mud Turtle that was "living" in a bucket [emoji22]

Major filtration, water changes, lights, heat, and sun when you can. I loved mine but they needed more room so they went to a friend's outdoor pond with arrangements for winter. Fenced and predator proof and escape proof. It's illegal and unethical to release non natives OR native species that have been in captivity.

There are a ton of Turtles in Rescues. Learn about them and consider offering a homeless turtle a nice tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom