thinking of planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am seriously considering planting my 20g community tank. After some research I have decide to go low light with anubias, crypts, java ferns and java moss. I was looking at aquariumplants.comto get the plants but I'm a little wary of buying sight unseen. Anyone have any experience with this site? Or a good supplier in Queens or Long Island New York.

This one will be a good one for you. Go to Aquabid.com and look up Lowcoaster. He is in Bayside. His plants are probably in most of the members tanks on this forum. I also happen to know him personally, great guy.

Jchillin said:
Go to Aquabid.com and look up Lowcoaster. He is in Bayside. His plants are probably in most of the members tanks on this forum.

Very high quality plants from him. He's also extremely organized and easy to deal with.

If you can't get the plants you want from Lowcoaster (doubtful based on what you're looking for) then AquariumPlants.com is a good place to order from. I've personally ordered from them and my local fish club has ordered from them, both with sucess. The plants were well packaged and in good condition when they arrived. Others have been reporting issues with drygood orders from them, but as far as plants go I'd be willing to order from them again. The thing that I like about them over some other sites that might have slightly higher quality plants, is that they will actually give you a shipping quote on plants up front. No surprises.

That being said my next order is going to be from Lowcoaster. It'll be my first time ordering from him, but from the rave reviews he get's I'm sure that I won't be disappointed. So far his communication through emails has been excellant. If you don't want to order through AquaBid you can simply ask him for a plant list and order directly from him.

I have also personally ordered from Aquariumplants.com more than once with great results. They have excellent plants but I suggest you pay for overnight shipping since it is the only method that is guaranteed live. Some plants will be ok with slower than overnight, but some won't. I learned that the last time I ordered. Overall though, their prices are pretty reasonable.

A good source of plants is often a local fish or planted aquarium club. Fish clubs being more common. They usually have auctions with lots of good plants. If you are in NY then there is almost certainly a bunch of local clubs.

Based on the list that I put together does anyone have any other suggestions or comments for a beginner trying to do a low light tank? This is my first try at something like this and I welcome any advice. I hope that based on my research my selection of plants is ok. They are all listed as lowlight on several sites and I do want to plant a variety to give the tank a semi natural look. I'll take any tips I can get regarding plant selection and placement. I will also be adding a piece of driftwood as an anchor for some of the plants. I will be planting in a gravel substrate as well.

Thanks Chillin. I think I'm gonna have to make you my advice guru. You've imparted a load of knowledge that has been spot on every time. Thanks again

Chillin do you have any particular favorite varieties for my hopeless beginners low light tank? Any plants more idiot proof than others?

Java ferns and moss are nearly indestructible. I tried to kill mine several times and it refused succumb.

Anubias require just a bit of care but they can be tolerant of a lot of neglect but not as much as the others. I would not classify any of them as idiot proof (you do have to remember to keep water in the tank) but they will do well for you.

Jchillin said:
Java ferns and moss are nearly indestructible. I tried to kill mine several times and it refused to succumb.

Anubias require just a bit of care but they can be tolerant of a lot of neglect but not as much as the others. I would not classify any of them as idiot proof (you do have to remember to keep water in the tank) but they will do well for you.

Well I just crossed over from thinking about planting to I'm gonna plant soon. I went out to Fishtown USA yesterday and bought a nice chunk of driftwood to go in which is now soaking in my garage to release the tannins. Chillin, with your permission I was going to email Lowcoaster and mention that I was referred by you. Maybe he can provide me with a planting plan. Of course I won't do this unless I have your ok. Then I can get planting soon. I will try to post pics as I go.

Back
Top Bottom