Thinking of starting a nano reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! Im probably just going to add my fw sand into my other aquarium then. Im def taking my time, I am so pumped, but i feel like one mistake can ruin the whole thing.

That's why you gotta stay patient and keep an eye on your parameters. I check mine at least 5 days a week and check my SG every day. It's really your only way of knowing what's going on. I can just stare at my tank, I love it! I use the API SW and Reef Master test kits, but there's many options. There is a great Ipad App, "Aqua Planner." It's great, you can keep you measurments for multiple tanks, notes, equipment, set reminders, and it even does charts so you can see how your tank's doing over time. Instead of keeping a journal I use the app, very convenient. Get through your Nitrogen Cycle and don't be afraid to ask questions. Especially Convict, very knowledgable, and has been very helpful for me as well. Take your time, you'll be glad you did!
:dance:

Right. And I just got a call about a house me and my bf applied for. So I need to wait to see if we'll b moving soon, that'll also hurt how fast I can get everything I need for it... So actually I was kinda bummed we got the call, they were supposed to make the decision last week so I thought we wouldn't get it, so the security deposit was gonna be for a lot of the equipment I need!!!! Err lol. But it'll be nice. And like u said it'll give me more time to do every but of research I need. I can purchase things here and there until I can buy live rock, live sand, and salt and water and put it all together.

I wanted to download that app! I forgot so thanks for reminding me!

Looks like no house so far but I'm still gonna look for products right now to see if I can get a good deal. What's a good light for a 20 gallon tall? I want it to just sit right on my lid if possible.

Also the ro/di unit, how big do the tubs/buckets of water have to be? In my apartment I won't have room for trash can sized tubs, could I just use 5 gallon buckets?

What size or gph pump should I get for a 20 gallon?

Do you have a local fish store that sells ro water ? We've got a 24 gal so we just pay a couple quid a Month and buy it in a refillable plastic jug that is 20l

Lights and water

Looks like no house so far but I'm still gonna look for products right now to see if I can get a good deal. What's a good light for a 20 gallon tall? I want it to just sit right on my lid if possible.

Also the ro/di unit, how big do the tubs/buckets of water have to be? In my apartment I won't have room for trash can sized tubs, could I just use 5 gallon buckets?

What size or gph pump should I get for a 20 gallon?

As far as the light goes there's so many options out there. I've got the Taotronics 120 watt dimmable and love it. It doesn't matter the how high above the tank it is because it's got dimmers for both white and blue. It was recommended by someone very knowledgable on this site who has 6 of them. It would good for your tank, I have no doubt as it's probably overkill for mine, but my reef will be moving to a 55 eventually. Here's a link for the light You'd have to build a lid or modify an existing one for this light, but it does come with the wires and mounts to hang it. I used a 'J' Hook for a planter and just screwed it to the wall. the lights only 7 lbs and the hook holds it easily.

As for the water, you don't have to set up a RO/DI system, and can buy from the lfs or just get distilled water from the market. If your set on setting one up, there's a thread on the forum about those systems, check under in the equipment forums. I'd tell you more about the water but that's all I know.

I rent an apartment where i cant put holes in my cieling or wall for lights. It has to go on top of my tank. And I dont want to bleach my corals once i get going so is there a certain watt light that will be good specifically or ...no?

About the water, I didnt think to ask that at my lfs yesterday when i was getting prices and what not. But i will try to remember to call them today to ask about it. If its not possible in buckets thats the way ill do it then, thanks!

As far as the light goes, there's a lot of good options out there, you need to find what works best for you and your particular situation. I recommended the one I did because it's a good light and you prolly wouldn't need to worry about bleach corals cause of the dimmer option it comes with. I believe I saw one that clips on the back of the tank too. Just go to ebay or amazon and check aquarium lights, grow lights, coral lights. You'll find something. Also search this forum for "Lighting, Best bang for your buck," lots of options there for you. Cheers!

Thanks!! I have saved some on eBay and amazon and I'm checking out your link too!

We started with a basic Kent bioreef tank great little starter tank the only thing I can really fault it for is its a bit hard to change up the water flow but for the fish and soft corals we've got everything is thriving away, I watch it for hours! I am excited for you, I love watching my little inhabitants I'm like a tank mother haha

Thats how i feel!! lol, I live in an apartment so its not that big, and i have 3 fish tanks in there! lol. but they cant really tell me no to this tank, because it was my grow out tank, and now the fish that were in there are ready to come out so im not adding another tank to do this. lol Thank you for the advice!

So RO water is fine? It doesn't have to be RO/DI water? My LFS sells RO water for 59 cents a gal

Actually RO is not the same thing as distilled water and the DI in RODI doesn't even stand for distilled. Before I knew any better I used to think the same thing though. RODI stands for Reverse-Osmosis/De-Ionization and its the optimal water to use in any marine aquarium. This is because the RODI filtering process removes literally everything that isn't pure H20. This means that all heavy metals and all organic compounds are removed. Most aquarists recommend using RODI water for your tanks however I know some who (and I personally have used) distilled water with good results. Distilled water sometimes can still contain phosphates and nitrates which leads to problems with unwanted algaes but it is still a much better option than tap water.

Actually RO is not the same thing as distilled water and the DI in RODI doesn't even stand for distilled. Before I knew any better I used to think the same thing though. RODI stands for Reverse-Osmosis/De-Ionization and its the optimal water to use in any marine aquarium. This is because the RODI filtering process removes literally everything that isn't pure H20. This means that all heavy metals and all organic compounds are removed. Most aquarists recommend using RODI water for your tanks however I know some who (and I personally have used) distilled water with good results. Distilled water sometimes can still contain phosphates and nitrates which leads to problems with unwanted algaes but it is still a much better option than tap water.

I stand corrected.

But since it is only RO water not RO/DI water (i didn't know what it meant until after i looked it up) and it didn't go through both processes, its still fine to use for my sw nano?

Good luck on your new tank! My lfs sells filtered sterilized ocean water for 98 cents a gallon. 5 gal every other week is all I need for water changes and it saves me the hassle of making my own. I top off with distilled water from the market, if you research it I think you'll find distilled is perfectly ok. You are smart for asking a lot of questions! Btw harlequins need starfish in their diet. Hope this helps : )

Thanks! I def feel like i have a lot of questions. And i know, i read up about Harlequins the other day, and it kind of made me nervous to get one. i never see star fish at my local lfs and id have to order them. idk how much they go for, but id have to ask. Id love one though, but i don't want to buy one and not be able to care for it. My main staple to the tank i want, is a clown fish (just normal orange black and white = nemo) hosting an anemone....or however you spell it.

Clown anemone combo is great but you're supposed to wait 6 months before introducing one to the tank. They need good light and water. I heard the bubble tips are hardy. I'm going for seahorses which are difficult too! I think you'll find in this hobby there is a lot of waiting. Oh yeah and a lot of $$ lol

Back
Top Bottom