Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked at reefcleaners and it seems reasonable, it will only be 47$ compared to my lfs where it would be about 100$. They live will be about 70$.... For 7 pounds, is that ridiculous or am I being too picky?

needmorecowbell said:
Great!!! Are you on a budget too? It's pretty hard for me to buy this stuff, it's been about a year of planning lol. The CPR sounds pretty good but a sump is much better if it is available for you. Good luck! Also, mine will be a reef by maybe Christmas... Or later, right now just a fowlr.

On a side note...
Im going to be buying base Rock soon. I'm going to do about 3/4 br, and 1/4 lr... Where can I find good base rock? My lfs is too overpriced.

Haha yeah low budget.. Lots of lawns to mow:) mine will be a set up 30 gallon reef by Christmas!:) and I'll be doing 1/4 LR 3/4 base rock. And I'll also have an aquaclear 70 refugium!

needmorecowbell said:
I looked at reefcleaners and it seems reasonable, it will only be 47$ compared to my lfs where it would be about 100$. They live will be about 70$.... For 7 pounds, is that ridiculous or am I being too picky?

70$ for 7 pounds is RIDICULOUS!!!
That's 10$/lbs!:0

SleepsWithFish said:
Haha yeah low budget.. Lots of lawns to mow:) mine will be a set up 30 gallon reef by Christmas!:) and I'll be doing 1/4 LR 3/4 base rock. And I'll also have an aquaclear 70 refugium!

I decided not to go with a refugium right now.. Just don't really need it, I might in the future though. Okay thats what i thought, it is crazy. And I do have a list.. 1 perc, 1-2 cardinals ( I'm thinking bangaii atm but maybe pajama), royal gramma or hawkfish, and maybe something else.. Plus my cleanup crew which will have a conch. Sound okay or under/ over stocked?

I bought my base rock off eBay. Got free shipping and 50 lbs of base for eighty odd bucks. Just over 1.75 a pounds. I paid alot for my live but I went with what just hit the market and had zero die odd. Great packaging too.

needmorecowbell said:
I decided not to go with a refugium right now.. Just don't really need it, I might in the future though. Okay thats what i thought, it is crazy. And I do have a list.. 1 perc, 1-2 cardinals ( I'm thinking bangaii atm but maybe pajama), royal gramma or hawkfish, and maybe something else.. Plus my cleanup crew which will have a conch. Sound okay or under/ over stocked?

Sounds cool! You can get an aquaclear 70 for 40$ on amazon and modify it into a refugium!!!(thats what I'm doing) If your interested just google aquaclear refugium mod.

Oh cool I'll check it out.. I would have to use it once it's cycled, right? And I will check out eBay then because it's 2.30 on reefcleaners lol. Thanks for all the great replies, they help soo much :)

needmorecowbell said:
Oh cool I'll check it out.. I would have to use it once it's cycled, right? And I will check out eBay then because it's 2.30 on reefcleaners lol. Thanks for all the great replies, they help soo much :)

Yeah you could just stuff it with lr rubble and cycle with it and when the cycles done you can throw in some macro algae!

Base rock wont have any die off, so you could just drop it in. But I would do something to clean it somewhat. Boil it or rinse it with water change water.

Okay, so I gotta buy some lr rubble, base rock, and some live rock.. I understand that with base rock I won't have die off but what about live? I will have about 7 pounds of it.

I also found a website thats kind of local that sells for a fraction of the price, gotta love craigslist hehe. Just bought a 50 gal io salt pack for 30$ and found a 200 gallon io box for 39$ on the website!!!! I'm pretty annoyed lol, they also sell live rock so I'll be buying almost all my stuff from there most likely. The website's name is slipperyrockcorals.com. The guys pretty nice and has beautiful corals for about 10$.

Wow, prices went down a lot since the last time I went shopping for one, I bought a crappy one for like twice that much money for a 3ft. Just wish it had moonlights, I guess I could Diy though

Odds are in favor of die off. For live rock get everything in. Substrate live rock then base. Add your rock. Design your aquasscaping. Put substrate in. After rock so you ur rock doesn't get unstable. Then add water and live rock die off should start ur cycle.

Okay thanks so hopefully I won't have to add anything, great. My tank is clean so I just need to buy some rock and I should be good to go after I paint it.

Update
The tank is going to be painted in the next two days and I will be buying the rest of my supplies on the 25th. I will buy all my rock then, and will be ready to start it the same day. Cant wait :)

Back
Top Bottom