This doesn't have to do with fish but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know it's in the wrong section but I'd rather get more traffic on it so I can pull the plug soon. Do any of you keep large reptiles? And if so, where did you get your cages from? I'm looking for a 72x24x30H cage, sliding glass doors, and wired for a heat bulb and UVB light. So far I've only found customcages or something and monster-cages. I know I can build my own but last time I tried doing that with a 48x24x24 it ended horribly and with me just having to track one down and buy it anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I dont have a large reptile but i do have a bearded dragon. Right now im using an old 55 gal fish tank as my setup but i am building one with a kitchen table as a base and putting a frame made from 2x4s on it and then covering it with 1/4" plywood. Theres a site called beardeddragons.org that helped me out, and they have info about other reptiles too.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

What are you keeping, out of curiousity? By the need for a light and UVB I'm guessing monitor or tegu?

I mean what kind of animal is the OP going to be keeping in this big awesome cage? :p Large reptile yes, but what kind? I mostly keep snakes myself and they don't need heat lights or UVB, just belly heat, so I'm assuming it's for a large lizard.

Haha it's just a bearded dragon. I used to keep snakes but that was when I lived in Texas and I had a friend who could build the enclosures for me. Right now he's in a 4x2x2 enclosure but it just seems so small for him. I know most keep bearded dragons in smaller but my guy utilizes the space and he's fairly big.

Where are you located? If you are in or around NY I know a few reptile ppl I could put you in touch with. One of my husbands friends runs a
Rescue. He has 3 caimen and some very large snakes so he has custom stuff built but you never know price wise.

Reptileforums.Net Or herpcenter.com might have a forum like this where people would have ideas. I used to belong to them forever ago when we had snakes. Not sure how active or good they are now though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would seriously check out beardeddragon.org. they helped me out soooo much when i was considering building my own. they gave me tips on what to use and what not to use. I went on craigslist and found a cheap kitchen table to build on top of and im using styrofoam and tile grout to make the background. search youtube for tutorials too. the frame can be as simple as 1x3s screwed together and covered in plywood or more elaborate with furnature. im having a blast building mine.

if you dont want to build a whole one, you can always search yard sales for old vanities, tall cabinets or dressers to convert. need any other advice pm me on here or beardeddragon.org my user name is the same. Good Luck to you and let me know how you make out :)

I'm in Louisville Kentucky, so not very close to New York. I do appreciate it though.

I used the plans on beardeddragon.org to attempt to build his first 4x2x2...I'm just not very handy and way too impatient for all of that. Mine came out all crooked, superworms were crawling out of the back where the boards weren't even. The hinged door ended up being taped on because I got pissed at the hinges.

I've found one site that sells a 6x2x2 for $425 and they build custom so I've asked about mine. They ship and insure their cages too so I'm just waiting and hoping to hear back from them. Their website shows it was last updated in 2007. But I'll keep an eye out for furniture, that's a good idea. I'm sure I could figure it out as long as the actual enclosure part was built and I wasn't having to measure and line things up and cut.

yeah i bet you could take a six drawer dresser tip it on its side, take the drawer supports out, get kitchen table legs and voila! you'll have the enclosure part all set. you'll just need the glass front and a little work to cut holes for lights chords etc. and it will be ready for decor.

you could also have someone else do the frame and exterior and you do the rest vs. paying someone to do the whole thing. that way you get the frame that you want and you can do the inside any way you want for less money that buying a custom one.

Thanks :p been kind of a star wars fan since i was a kid! my dad actually let me skip school once on my birthday to see the third one in theaters when it came out haha

That's sick, I am a die hard Star Wars fan!

Shep

That's sick, I am a die hard Star Wars fan!

Shep

Been watching the films since i can remember :p my favorite has to be a new hope. Thats the one that sucked me in as a kid, but the revenge of the sith is a squeaky close second because it ties it all together and explains alot of unanswered stuff from a new hope.

Been watching the films since i can remember :p my favorite has to be a new hope. Thats the one that sucked me in as a kid, but the revenge of the sith is a squeaky close second because it ties it all together and explains alot of unanswered stuff from a new hope.

My favorite is attack of the clones, purely for the epic battle scene on geonosis.

Shep

Back
Top Bottom