tiger barb tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyT~

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so i finally got my tiger barbs. i think i want 3 green, three "normal" and i am wondering what other fish would be good tank mates. i want a total of about 9 fish. its fora 50 gallon.

any ideas?

thanks

don't forget the albino tiger barbs.

9 tiger barbs in a 50 gallon...is a pretty sparse tank. barbs max out by 3", so you'd still have quite a bit of stocking space left over, if you desire.

Consider some bottom dwellers, like yo-yo loaches, or corydoras.

well some how i got talked into letting hubby have the 50 gallon so i am going to do a tiger barb tank with the 30.

i have 3 tiger barbs in there right now and a clown loach that is their "leader" lol

this is my "special" clown who has issues.

we had him in the 46 gallon tank with some other clowns but he kept going and getting on the filter and just hanging out. he was making me nervous, thought he was going to croak so moved him to to my 30 which has a different filter bottom , and a few danios and he is fine. This poor fish is TOUGH, he has been through some stuff.

so now my thought is get another clown (yes i know how big they get, and will get a bigger tank when they outgrow the 30, mine have always taken forver to grow) and then maybe 2 green Tiger barbs and be done with it.

anyone got experience mixing these fish? they seem ok just wondered if there had been any issues?

oh danios are gone! so they are not a factor in the 30

Just be careful what you mix with the Tiger Barbs, they will nip!!!

Mine pretty much stick together most of the time. I guess it has to do with group size. I have 9 in my 55G, 3 of each. The greens tend to break away more often though, but the rest wander together.

yeah thanks i know about the fin nipping that is why they get their own tank :)

i think i finally decided 3 tiger, 2 green and 2 albino, although i am not sold on the albino will have to see them. and a bottom feeder.

i am enjoying my 3, they are very funny to watch. i like their little communication. i swear they are part meerkat lol they will all be swimming, stop like they hear something then "run" for the log LOL!! then i will see one poke its head out and say ok its clear and back out they come. since they are the only fish in there lol i don't know what they are seeing. 8O

You could also do a rainbow shark with the tiger barbs. They do a decent job of cleaning up excess food that falls to the bottom. Even cory cats will work too.

oh my gosh! i forgot about the corys. i would love a panda. but i have yet to see one anywhere. i have seen the albino ones though and they are really cute!

thanks for the reminder :)

I have 2 tiger barbs ( normal striped kind ), a red tailed shark, a female betta, and a black molly all in the smae tank, a 10 gallon at that, never had any problems, the betta however loves the mollie, and the barbs still keep trying to takeover the cave the shark stays in, but he won't let it happen, Barbs however do nip really badly, I had a tank a few years ago that was a 29 gallon and I had 3 green tiger barbs, some kind of spotted catfish thing, a huge 16 " pleco, 2 angels, a fancy tailed goldfish and a huge goldfish that grew way to big and broke his back agianst the tank wall. the tank was truely overloaded and it couldn't handle that many fish it was so nasty after a week, but anywas my barbs nipped everything the could until the pleco rammed on agiasnt the wall and killed it and the others died of old age, I thought plecos were peaceful, but apperently he had enough lol

Watch out with the cory's. I would recommend getting as big as possible from your LFS. My 2 cory's (started with 3 but one was eaten alive) were constantly picked on by 1 of my barbs. The cory's are excellent bottom cleaners, and IMO the most interesting fish to watch in my tank when they are feeding, but they are suceptable to the barbs since their fins are very attractive (and thus appetizing).

You generally want to keep the barbs in large groups (5-6 or more) so they are constantly battling each other for "alpha" status.

If you want them to school more find a larger more aggressive fish. Recently my one barb (unknown as of yet, could be a rosey barb, could be a gold barb) has taken a mate, and become quite aggressive. This has made the normally spread out tigers to school together. I think the schooling is less of a social thing, and more of a survival tactic to prevent harm. I hear that red tailed sharks put barbs in their place :), but don't know what their potential size is.

justin

7Enigma said:
Watch out with the cory's. I would recommend getting as big as possible from your LFS. My 2 cory's (started with 3 but one was eaten alive) were constantly picked on by 1 of my barbs.
justin

I had the same problem. I put 4 small panda cories in with my 5 Tiger Barbs and the Tigers killed two of them in a week. I moved the remaining 2 into my 10 Gal for their protection.

I agree with the Rainbow Shark recomendation. I have one and he is a lot of fun to watch. Anytime the Tigers get to close to his territory he chases them to the other side of the tank. He never does any damage but it makes for some really cool high speed chases and he does a good job of cleaning the bottom and decorations.

Yeah my 1 cory that died had been eaten alive and probably was so exhausted that he just layed on the bottom and got nipped to death. I feel horrible about it, but was so new to keeping fish that I didn't realize the fins were being nipped and that he was constantly being tormented (I was working a lot right when I got the fish) that I missed the trouble signs. :(

someone else recommended a rainbow also!

i am glad you said something about the corys because i had not read anything like that. I told my husband that is why i like to use this place like "snopes" because sometimes what you read on research is not how real life works out with them.

still thinking 3 tiger, 3 green, no albino and a rainbow!
thanks for the input

Well I didn't want you to not get a group of cory's, I just wanted you to know that the tiger's have to be watched for a while before they can be trusted. One thing I would have liked to have done was gotten the cory's FIRST, so that they had time to become established in the tank.

I've read a lot of articles on how to have incompatible fish housed together with little problems. Almost all of them recommend introducing the less aggressive fish to the tank first, waiting a couple days so they establish a territory, and then introducing the more aggresive fish (barbs in your case).

I now have 2 cory's that are just fine in my tank of 12 barbs. They are great bottom cleaners and very interesting to watch, I'd hate for you to miss out on that.

I would introduce the cory's first, then get the barbs, then get the rainbow fish. You very well might find out that when the barbs are first introduced, they are aggressive towards each other and the cory's, but once that rainbow gets in there watch those barbs school and worry about their own hide. (I'd get a slightly larger rainbow than the biggest barb, but with the cory's being the largest at the start) While size does not guarantee protection (just look at some of those crazy aggressive cichlids that are much smaller than the fish they kill), it is certaintly a deterrent. :)

i already have my 3 tigers in there i have had them for 3 weeks, so no cories for me :(

but i wanted a panda and i cant find them here locally for some reason so i am not too heartbroke

thanks for the input

I'm hoping to stock my tank with some Tiger Barbs, but I have some questions first.

Can I stock them in a 20 gallon tank, with gravel on the bottom and pH of 8?

If yes, how many?

If I need to lower my pH, how do I go about doing that?

Back
Top Bottom