Tiger barbs and angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwizard

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all just wondering if anyone has these two in the same tank? And do they get along? Any fin nipping?
My sister wants clown loaches but I've told her they get too big and I will look for a fish with the same kinds of colour on it, best I could think of was tiger barbs.

Tiger barbs are nasty little guys they look good but they bite everything they're pretty aggressive and I know they would harass the Angels to no end

I agree 100% with the above posts.

All the above posts are correct. Tiger barbs are mean little buttholes. Had a school of 6 or so in my community tank and they nipped at dang near everything. Seemed like they harrassed the long finned fish more. Please don't do it

They even harrassed each other to the point that they killed each other off except for the last one. Survival of the fittest I guess. Needless to say, I don't have tiger barbs anymore :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks everyone, there's no way I'm risking the angel. Is there any other fish out there that are similar in colour and aren't aggressive or fin nippers? None come to my mind.

When I started this tank I wanted glowlights but for the life of me I couldn't find them anywhere, and I mean anywhere, I don't think there as popular over here in the uk, or maybe my lfs's are not so keen on them for some reason.
I think I'm gonna have to tell my sister to look for another fish that she likes, you've all been a great help, as usual, thank you :)

I have an angel with 4 tiger barbs! My barbs do not harass my angel whatsoever my angle will just run them away if they come anywhere close to him! They have their teritory and he has his and they seem to be fully aware of that!

I know I have been lucky with this as I know a lot of people have been very unlucky!

Would I recommend it? No I prob wouldnt as the odds on having 2 aggressive fish with barbs not nipping are very slim! I have been extremely lucky tho!

I could post a video to show you how they get on!!!

You might be able to try five banded barb. I think they're not as aggressive

+1 with 5 banded barbs.

Another TigerBarb look alike are Black-Ruby Barbs. They grow to a similar size & shape to TB's, but not as aggressive.

IanC_ said:
I have an angel with 4 tiger barbs! My barbs do not harass my angel whatsoever my angle will just run them away if they come anywhere close to him! They have their teritory and he has his and they seem to be fully aware of that!

I know I have been lucky with this as I know a lot of people have been very unlucky!

Would I recommend it? No I prob wouldnt as the odds on having 2 aggressive fish with barbs not nipping are very slim! I have been extremely lucky tho!

I could post a video to show you how they get on!!!

Thank you for the info, tbh if there is any risk to the angel I'm not gonna add them, the angel was my first fish I raised from a baby and my pride and joy even tho the tank isnt mine any longer lol

Thanks everyone I'm gonna speak to my sister today and see If there is anything else she likes.

Back
Top Bottom