Tiger barbs and angels together???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
If you have a big enough bunch of tiger barbs could you have them with angel fish? I had a 29 gal tank that I had the 7 barbs in. That tank is now home to a Fig 8 puffer. The barbs are in a new 55 gallon tank. Now that I have a little more room I keep thinking about angel fish wife really likes them and they are starting to grow on me. If I have enough barbs can the angels work? Would more plants hiding places make it any better? There are also 3 pictus cats in the tank, and a rainbow shark.

I'm no expert. But my mum had tiger barbs and angel fish together a while ago. The tiger barbs ate the tentacles which come out at the front of the angel fish. It was heart breaking. But I don't know :)

It might or might not work. The larger the group of barbs the better, but I would probably not do it. I have both angels and tiger barbs, but in separate tanks. I would go with a (slightly) more aggressive cichlid.

If the angels are full grown "palm sized" they may have a chance with the barbs. If the angels are quarter/silver dollar size, its not going to be pretty. Tiger barbs are very nippy.

hmm. I was quite small then. But it was about 55 gallon as I remember. She had 2 angels and about 4 tiger barbs i think.

Its one of those chancy situation lawdawg; with a big enough barb school they MAY leave the angel fins alone, but theres no guarentee. As they say, your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't recommend having barbs and angels together. Barbs are much more high strung of fish and are curious about everything making them notourious fin pullers. They would probably end up destroying the angels beautiful finnage and stressing them out way too much. If you want to enjoy your angel fish I would suggest not keeping the two together. I have a tank with just a shoal of barbs and they are very amusing fish on their own to observe, providing many hours of entertainment. My angels are in a seperate community tank.

Back
Top Bottom