Tiger barbs and "clown barbs"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefish13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks ago I purchased 2 green tigers and 2 normal tiger barbs. I know that barbs need at least 6-8 in a school. My green tigers and normals are schooling fine but a few days ago I went to my local LFS and bought 2 "clown barbs" the man that sold them to me said that they would school fine. When I released them into the tank they schooled with the other barbs but whenever I'm watching they always seem to be getting nipped or chased away from food. Sometime my larger green tiger barb will chase them around the tank. Does anyone know what's going? And will they be able to live together? I have a 29 gallon tank and my barbs aren't the first fish in there, they are the only ones in the tank though. Has anyone else tried to keep clown barbs and tigers together?

Plz help! I'm very worried!

I would be concerned. I don't know clown barbs I do know tigers. 29 gallons is in the small end for them. The chasing will probably stress the clowns. I have black ruby and Odessa barbs with my tigers. No chasing out side of species

I would take them back and explain the situation. Not that I don't trust anyone, I just prefer to research things in my own as well.

I kept clown barbs for a long time. They don't get quite as big as tigers but are equally boisterous. If you want to keep them I wouldn't worry. They like schools of 6 too but with the tigers they will fall in a pecking order with them.

Ok so they will live peacefully with my other tiger barbs?

Back
Top Bottom