Tiger barbs die for no reason. ARRRRGHH!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceWind

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, im either having bad luck, my local Petsmart sucks or im just cursed. I"ve been having Tiger barbs in my tank for a good 5 months, both regular and green ones. Since day one, my green ones have ALWAYS slowly died off, one by one. I'd monitor the tempature and all water parameters and nothing was really out of the ordinary. Still, one morning, i'd find one sucked up against the filter strainer.

Even stranger, some of tiger barbs have like "shrunk" and gotten skinny. No matter how much food I put into the tank, they have to fight to get scraps from the bigger ones and eventually they croak. I feed them a mixed diet of frozen shrimp, bloodworms, pellets and flake. It almost seems like its back to darwins theory of only the strong will survive. Its a damn aquarium with tiger barbs!!!

Earlier this week, Monday I found a small one dead sucked up and the next day, a my last green barb met its end after only 2 months. ARRGGH!!! WTF is going on here? I did a 30% water change and added a good amount of declorinator and I have dual filters, a Emperor 280 and a Top Fin 30 working together and my last water test showed 8.0pzh level, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and 20 nitrite. I've also got some live plants as well in the tank as well as Pleco and Red tailed shark who are doing fine.

Either im missing something or I am just freaking cursed.

Let's say you're cursed...... LOL

I don't think you're missing anything. I can only guess but I suspect an intestinal infection of some sort was present in the barbs from day one. Don't give up on them.

Im sick of having to buy new fish. Grrrrr....Im gonna keep a close eye on this batch thats left over.

i've kept tiger barbs in all my tanks over the years, believe it or not they are kinda finicky to take care of, I actually had one pass away last night from a sudden PH change from 7.0 to 6.6, i beleieve this was caused by adding two new fish to the tank. In the past my tiger barbs all died off or became like you mentioned smaller and paler than the other tiger barbs, usually from either being bullied by other larger tiger barbs or not having enough hiding. Plants, either real or fake usually grouped in a corner and placed randomly in the tank offer a good hiding spot. I try and get barbs that are usually the same size to eliminate that dominate attitude bigger ones get. Also i've noticed they aren't big on hiding in caves and such, for some reason none of mine would go i na cave if there life depended on it. As for tank parameters, They thrive in tempatures from 78 - 80 degrees, a PH of 7.0- 7.2 and plenty of plants to hide in with open spaces in the middle for them to swim and play in. I've always went by the 12 hours on and 12 hours off lighting schedule. I feed them tropical flakes, made by tetra and they go nuts over it. be sure to change 25 % of the water by siphoning the gravel every week for a good healthy tank and change and aclean your filter media at least once a month. If you want feel free to PM me and i'll tell you my setup and what chemicals i use and everything and it might help you keep fisha bit longer lol good luck

8 isa good size school, and will defintly keep them alot more mellow, but you can get away with as little 5 and still keep them happy

I had 13 at one point, now im done to 11 and possibly 10 because one is showing the "shy and thinning signs" like the others have in the past. Grrrrrr.....

The problem is that youre buying from PETSMART. They do not take care of their fish. I used to work at some pet store chains. The managers dont think twice about any fish there, they just like whatevers, its not my fish. Usually, all their tanks are on ONE filter, if 1 tank is sick, theyll all get it.

Save yourself the trouble and money and go to a REAL pet store.

Uhh, what exactly is wrong with Petsmart? They do a good job at my local store. Besides, my only other choices are Wal-Mart and Petland.

And no, I am not ordering fish online. That is beyond gay.

Back
Top Bottom