Tiger Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

relisefishies8897

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently having trouble with the fish in my 10 gal. aquarium. It has:

1 full size ADF
2 small ADF
4 Panda Corydora
4 Tiger Barbs
1 Black Mystery/Gold Inca Hybrid

Recently two of my tiger barbs have been wedging themselves in between the surface of my aquarium, my sword plant and the right hand corner of the tank. From there they start to shake and move their fins erratically. My other two don't do this and I can't seem to find out why the two do. Their diet consists of Algae pellets and blood worms. And every time I check the pH, everything is normal... slightly alkaline but it always has been.

I'd really appreciate some help on this... I love my fish and I hate to see them suffer. :( :fish2:

:thanks:

Well, tiger barbs really don't belong in a 10. They should be at least in a 20, preferably a 29. Lack of space could be making them stressed or sick.

Well if their actions aren't parasite related or they're not being picked on then I'd agree that they may be stressed due to lack of space. Are all other water parameters ok along with the ph?

Well, just because someone has done it before doesn't mean it's good. Search "10 gallon aquarium" on youtube. There will be tons of videos that have seemingly happy fish when actually the tank is dreadfully overstocked. Some people replicate tanks they see on youtube and then their fish die.

But, there is hope. You have an account on this forum:D You will learn lots of stuff and pretty soon you will have a nice tank with happy fish.

Well if their actions aren't parasite related or they're not being picked on then I'd agree that they may be stressed due to lack of space. Are all other water parameters ok along with the ph?

To my knowledge, the pH is fine, I just did a water change as well thinking that might help something... but to no avail.

Well, just because someone has done it before doesn't mean it's good. Search "10 gallon aquarium" on youtube. There will be tons of videos that have seemingly happy fish when actually the tank is dreadfully overstocked. Some people replicate tanks they see on youtube and then their fish die.

But, there is hope. You have an account on this forum:D You will learn lots of stuff and pretty soon you will have a nice tank with happy fish.

My grandma's aquarium was stocked with Tiger Barbs (2,) Kuhli Loaches, Emerald Cories, Neon Tetras, Black Tetras, and possibly a Chinese Algae Eater. She had no problems until all but 1 Black Tetra froze.

Also, I've been a member longer than you, I joined in 2011. I haven't been on in quite a long time though...

I'm gonna have to agree with bud and suggest you have a larger tank for the tiger barbs. They are active little fish and they need lots of swimming space to be happy. Imagine you're in a small room and you're sharing it with 10 other people. I'm guessing that's how your fish must feel.

To my knowledge, the pH is fine, I just did a water change as well thinking that might help something... but to no avail.

My grandma's aquarium was stocked with Tiger Barbs (2,) Kuhli Loaches, Emerald Cories, Neon Tetras, Black Tetras, and possibly a Chinese Algae Eater. She had no problems until all but 1 Black Tetra froze.

Also, I've been a member longer than you, I joined in 2011. I haven't been on in quite a long time though...

There are numerous problems with her stocking. CAE's need to be in schools, and grow to 6" a piece. They don't belong in a 10. Kuhli Loaches-grow up to 4", very active, don't belong in a 10. Tiger barbs-very active and need large schools, don't belong in a 10, and should not be kept with neons. I am not sure what you mean by black tetra but if you are talking about the black skirt tetra (aka hi-fin black tetra) they get to be too large and active for a 10 also. The emerald cories and neons are really the only thing that should have been in there.

+1 to Bud. TIger Barbs need larger numbers; they can become aggressive to each other and/or other fish if kept in low numbers and too small a tank. The khulis are active and need more room.

But to the fish's current issue....is the tank cycled? You mention PH but what's the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Those are more important and could be the cause of the problems if the toxins are high. What's your water change schedule?

Tiger barbs need to be in a shoal of at least 5; 7 would be better. My guess is that your barbs are stressed out.

You might be thinking we're all crazy. I know that no one wants to hear that you can't cram a bunch of fish into a 10g for the long run, but it's just the truth. What your gramma did is an honest mistake that many beginners make. No one is calling anyone out here or insulting them for making that mistake. We're just trying to guide people to the right path.

+1 with the advice that's been given ... Everyone as the best of intentions.

A proper shoal of TigerBarbs ... 7 with non barb tankmates ... do not belong in a 10gal long term. It's ok for a few months while they are 1 inch juveniles, but as they mature, they become too active and can grow too large for a 10gal.

They are notorious fin nippers by nature and it's a well deserved reputation, if they are in too small a tank with not enough TB's, they'll focus their fin nipping behavior to other tank mates.

it's all been said really. I would explore the thought of parasites a bit to be on the safe side of course. Fish will rub against things like they are scratching for several reasons, parasites is a popular one. But if you rule out illness you need to look at the environment you're fish are in and realize it's really not the proper one.

Take the time and do some quick research on what is in your tank and you will realize what people are saying.

It's not just your tank size but your stocking. I wouldn't surprised if you ended up loosing your frogs because of the barbs. Just because you don't seem to have issues now doesn't mean they aren't going to arise as your fish mature.

Back
Top Bottom