Tiger Barbs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcmess

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello - I had 2 goldfish and 3 tiger barbs. one tiger barb died and I added 6 tiger barbs from pet store. Shortly after adding them, 1 goldfish and 4 toger barbs died. I am now at 1 goldfish and 2 tiger barbs (I orginial tiger barb and 1 from the 6 purchase.) I have a 10 gallon tank.

Theyve been doing fine for a few months but recently one tiger barb has bit most fins off the other tiger barb. Do I get more tiger barbs? Seperate them? If the one dies and I am left with 1 tiger and 1 goldfish, will it be likely to attack the goldfish? Goldfish is much bigger in size.

Thanks for any info.

You need a bigger tank for the barbs. Like a 20g long. Goldfish are cold water, they aren't mixed with those barbs, also they require like 40g.

Also when I had the 4 tigers and one goldfish die, i didnt know if tigers introduced sickness to tank from pet store or could they have been doing the killing?

Im sorry I meant to type a 20 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon. thanks

Hello - I had 2 goldfish and 3 tiger barbs. one tiger barb died and I added 6 tiger barbs from pet store. Shortly after adding them, 1 goldfish and 4 toger barbs died. I am now at 1 goldfish and 2 tiger barbs (I orginial tiger barb and 1 from the 6 purchase.) I have a 10 gallon tank.

Theyve been doing fine for a few months but recently one tiger barb has bit most fins off the other tiger barb. Do I get more tiger barbs? Seperate them? If the one dies and I am left with 1 tiger and 1 goldfish, will it be likely to attack the goldfish? Goldfish is much bigger in size.

Thanks for any info.

Your tank was way small for all them fish.

1 gold fish 15-20 gallons, 2nd gold fish 10 more gallons, normally.

Tiger barbs need to be in a large group, 6+ preferably 12 or more, and they also need a long tank as they like to chase and swim.

Also was your tank cycled? Adding all those fish in a small 10 gallon could have caused a spike in the water parameters causing your fish to die =(

Don't keep2 just 2 barbs, they need to be kept in a larger group, add in another 4 and instead of keep the gold fish there, add in 1 or 2 bottom feeders (dwarf/small) sizes.

Cheers!

I don't mean to echo whats already been said, but first of all I would like to give you some information about cycling because it sounds like your tank went through a fish in cycle where your fish most likely died from ammonia and nitrite poisoning. Here are a few articles on cycling:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Goldfish are coldwater fish and tiger barbs are tropical meaning they have vastly different temperate needs. Goldfish need a temp of 68-72 and tropicals need 76-82.

Also tiger barbs are very nippy and need to be kept in large groups 8-10 to curb aggression and I agree minimum tank size would be a 20 gallon long which is kinda pushing it. They are very active and need a lot of swimming room.

I think a single goldfish needs a 20 gallon tank and then an extra 10 gallons per additional godlfish. But if your goldfish is a common comet I think those are only suitable for ponds because they get like a foot long.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom