Time to get some bottom feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I think it's time for me to get some bottom feeders. I have one RTS. I have a 55 gallon setup, housing 1 gouramis, 6 rosy barbs, 1 blood parrot, and two Boesami Rainbows. All living in perfect harmony. I have live plants and also plastic plants, and plenty of rocks and one huge plastic driftwood.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bottom feeders that would be good and would look good in the tank? I would like to stay away from Plecos and anything that gets unbelievable big.
I was thinking 2 clown loaches, but might go for the yoyo loaches since they don't get half as big as the loaches do. I was also thinking of maybe a few panda corys, but I don't know if they are too small. I heard that clown loaches are alright with corys.

Some help would be appreciate for sure :) The bottom of my tank looks so bare!

I'm a sw person but I did have a fw tank years and years ago. There are some very beautiful plecos out there that don't get huge and have some striking coloring to them. If that doesn't work for you, I think the clown loaches would look good too.

I like my 2 albino corys and my 4 peppered corys. They keep the bottom of my 30g long looking quite "busy" all the time. I know there are tons of different cory species with a variety of colors. Just my 2 cents :)

Keep in mind that while Clown Loaches grow slowly, they can end up rather large too (12"+).

not just do clown loaches get large they really are a schooling fish. I would suggest a school of cories or much smaller loaches.. do some research about your loaches though as some are more "coolwater" than tropical in all honesty. Perhaps a bristlenose pleco if you are having trouble with algea... just watching out for the RTBS to make sure it will still have it's territory

OMG I just picked up some emerald cory cats and I am completely in love with them. I got a group of them, but they seem to be going their own separate ways. I have one that keeps swimming through the bubbles of my diy co2. He seems to get a kick out of it. I saw some albino ones, will they get along with my emeralds if I get a few?

All cory cats will get along with each other just fine. I have a pair of green cories(corydoras aenus) and a pair of pepper cories(corydoras palaetus) in my 29g, and they all get along just fine.

For a 55gallon tank, I'd look into more than just your common or gibs. plecos. For one, they both get too large and messy for a 55gal. There are some gorgeous plec's out there. Check out Home • PlanetCatfish and PlecoFanatics.com - The Ultimate Loricariidae and Plecostomus Community for some ideas.

If you want loaches, clown's will eventually(slow growers) outgrow your 55gal. I would look into yo-yo's or striatas.

I must add that while all corys will get along, they will not school together. My albinos and peppered corys do their own thing. They will eat side by side but they won't play with each other. Just wanted to let you know!

Back
Top Bottom