Time to start again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

Long time no see! I suppose I didn't log on for the longest time simply 'cause I was so content with my setup.

I began with an uncycled tank, courtesy of WalMart, and I cycled it with fishies in it, with your guys' help. Eventually they all passed, and I got a Beta when it was cycled, and I loved it. The beta was about a year old when I got him, and he unfortunately just passed from dropsey at two years of age.

I changed the substrate, I did a water change and I gave it a week with some snails and gradual feeding to keep my cycle going.

Things are normal and I think I'm ready to get at it.

I'm just looking to keep things simple. It is a small 5 Gallon desk tank, and before everybody gets defensive, I'm well aware of its limits (y)

It has a small log with silk fake leaves on it, a small real leafy plant (I can't honestly remember its name) and a natural looking gravel substrate. It has a heater and a cycled HOB filter.

I'm looking for some small inverts and maybe a small group of fish.

For fish? I've already limited it to a small school of Endlers, please feel free to comment on how many it could support.

For inverts? I'm so open to suggestions.. I'm overwhelmed by the number of species there are.

I've kept ghost shrimp in the past, but I might be willing to try some type of Dwarf Cray with a small group of shrimp, or maybe just a large colony of shrimp.

I like dwarf shrimp, and I've already ruled out Crystal shrimp. I love Cherry Red Shrimp, and I like the blue types.

Other than deciding on my inverts, I'm open to plants. I've purchased a stronger bulb (15W I think) and I'd like to figure out what is best. I'd really like to do some kind of Moss carpet, but I'd like to know if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks guys! I hope my wall of text doesn't turn anybody off.

Any shrimp or plant experts out there! :)

I cannot comment on shrimp or plants, but I wouldn't personally get endlers. Unless you get just males, you will have problems with overpopluation before too long. There are various microrasboras that would be at home in your set up :D

Cherry Shrimp are great ! Just start with a stable well cycled tank. I have mine with CPDs but didn't add fish till the Shrimp were breeding well.

If you do Chili Rasboras they are Shrimp safe AFAIK. Other nano Danios or Rasboras should be fine. Ember Tetras might be ok with Adult shrimp.
Most Tetras will attack small Shrimp.

Endlers ? +1 All males Or a population explosion could crash your tank.

Wow! I thought Endlers might be the only selection for me. I don't have too much to pay for online shipping, and I thought it might be cool to sell the endlers to my LFS. She doesn't have great guppy stock, and if they breed often, I could sell her new stock every month!

If that's still a terrible idea, let me know lol!

I've never even investigated rasboras, I'll check to see if anything is on AquaBid.

Anybody have a list of semi colorful rasboras to consider?

Coursair -- what does AFAIK mean? As far as I know? lol

I also might knock out fish as a whole if someone thinks a set of Dwarf Crayfish might co-exist with shrimpies.. (Which I could also sell to my LFS)

I think so now that someone else agrees with me. Andrew, any advise for me? ;p

MABJ said:
I think so now that someone else agrees with me. Andrew, any advise for me? ;p

Ahhh I wish I could help! I keep Africans, so I don't really have n e advice :/ I do have a 5.5 gallon with a guppy and a snail lol.

Aww too bad! 5 gals are so cute lol. Perfect mini tanks. People need to understand how hard it is to be moving around 4 times a year as a college kid and hauling around anything larger is impossible!

MABJ said:
Aww too bad! 5 gals are so cute lol. Perfect mini tanks. People need to understand how hard it is to be moving around 4 times a year as a college kid and hauling around anything larger is impossible!

I hear ya! Th little tank is awesome, especially at wc time lol. Takes me 2 minutes to do a wc on the 5.5 and almost an hour on the 55!

Shrimp need live plants IMO. They love grazing on the biofilm. Moss is a favorite. I trade Moss to other tanks and then back onto Shrimp tank for new stuff to snack on.

Endlers would overstock fast and you could lose all your Shrimp. CPOs will hunt Shrimp. Supposedly too slow to catch them, but a 5g might make it too easy.

The Shrimp will breed and you can sell the babies.

Ok, Endlers are off the list. Maybe I shouldn't keep fish, just shrimp.

So what types of shrimp might I look at. Like I said, I've already crossed off the crystal versions.

I like CRS, but could I have another/different type?

Also, I'm looking into plants. I already have one live one, but I'm hoping to get moss. Any suggestions on how to set it up?
Are there any other plants I should look at?

If you are new to Shrimp, start with Cherries. They are easy and fun.

Other plants ? I like Java Ferns. Narrow Leaf are my favorite for now.

Try Crypts
Other easy plants.

Good plan! Hopefully everything will go well. I'd like to plant my plants before I get my shrimp.

Will I need to add anything else to the tank? I hear all this talk about DIY and Co2 injection. It all goes wayyy over my head. I'd be willing to learn one step at a time!

MABJ said:
Good plan! Hopefully everything will go well. I'd like to plant my plants before I get my shrimp.

Will I need to add anything else to the tank? I hear all this talk about DIY and Co2 injection. It all goes wayyy over my head. I'd be willing to learn one step at a time!

As long as you go Low light you can stay low tech. ;)

Alrighty, will do. I'm currently looking at some moss / RCS deals from people here! I'm excited.

I should edit this to also say, if someone is selling some good low light moss / smaller low light plant combos or decent grade RCS, you're welcome to PM me!

An update:

Maxwellag sold me some Java Moss and Mariamo Balls at a GREAT price. So I'm going to get those soon and 'install' them..

I hope to make a carpet by tying bits to rocks and lettin' it grow together. Eventually it will just merge with the rocks, and I'll have a handsome carpet on my hands!

I'd like a 3 to 5 inch plant to line the background if anybody has suggestions... I tried Anarcharis... Didn't do too hot in my tank. I don't quite know why. Its roots died, and eventually it did too.

In addition to the additional plant question, I was told small fish would be OK even if I move. SO... 5 gal, 15 inches long, can I do about 6 Ember tetras or 6 Mosquito Rasboras? Something red to stand out against the green and match the shrimp. What do yall say?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom