Time to upgrade my light.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
The basic single-strip fluorescent fixture is not giving me the results I want. My plants seem flimsy, and I want them to be lush, green, and healthy. I am finally working again, but only every other week or when my workload is low (one of the benefits of being friendly with the bosses) so that my grades don't drop. I work at a car wash and wind up averaging anywhere from $12-$13 an hour or more on busy days. In 19 hours, I made $240. Over spring break too I can probably make around $800 if I work enough days. For a college student, this isn't so bad! So, while I am severely budgeted to food, gas, and electric, I DO want to invest in a new light. However, it cannot be too too expensive...I'd say no more than $120. I have been reading the sticky on lighting, and I looked elsewhere, but I am still confused as to what type of light I should be shooting for.

Several things:
1) I want my tank to remain low light
2) No CO2 planned
3) Electricity usage needs to be considered
4) Nothing that will boom algae
5) A light that has given you great results

If any links could be provided from Foster&Smith or BigAls to what you'd recommend, I'd greatly appreciate it.

There are lots of good options for under $100. What size tank are we talking again?

Ok. I would suggest a compact florescent fixture.
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product&cPath=72_74

There is a clip on archaea light towards the bottom of that link that would do well on a 10 gal. The fixtures telescope quite a bit so you could raise it enough to get good spread over a ten and keep yourself in the low light realm. I use it as high light on both of my 5 gal tanks. Lots of pics in my links for the 5 gal tanks below.

I am sure there are cheaper options out there as well. T5ho over that size tank may be a little much if you want to stay low light and avoid co2.

I am sure there are some great LED options out there too that would work well. There are a few clip on led fixtures made for nano reef tanks that would do well for plants.

I would say for low light over a 10, you want 20-30 watts of CF or an equivalent in LEDs. A dual t8 fixture would also suffice without the need to add many ferts or inject co2.

Fort, excellent advice as always. I have a day packed with homework, but tonight I'll sit down and do research based on what you've said.

I'm excited to upgrade :-D.

If you're willing to do some work, LEDs would be a great DIY choice. I built a 30W LED fixture for ~$100. I've got it on a 20H and it's all the light I'll ever need. A link to the build is in my signature.

Over a 10g, I would think a big CFL would work well.

Will definitely take a look at your build thread as well, Jim. Thank you.

Before delving into the advice, do you guys feel that my wilting/flimsy plants is most likely due to only having a 15W fixture? I dose Flourish twice a week. While it helped a little, I haven't seen it do much as of late.

What kind of plants do you have in your tank? I have a planted 10g with a standard 15W 6700k bulb and I have - not to toot my own horn - a lush green tank. Granted they are mostly low light plants but they are all healthy.

I have jungle vals, ferns, crypts, and an amazon sword and they all look awesome. I do not inject CO2 or dose any ferts (anymore). I just throw a root tab under the sword every couple months and everything else just seems to grow like weeds.

Depending on how old your bulb is, you may want to consider replacing it. I hadn't replaced mine in a long time and I noticed a tremendous change when I swapped bulbs. Not only in growth of the plants but the overall brightness of the tank.

I agree that you can probably grow several species of low light plants at 15W of the right lighting.

I also think though that by doubling that, you would not add much in the way of requirements and maintenance, and you would see a dramatic difference with your plants.

Whoa didn't get any emails of replies.

meegosh...strange thing is, I have pretty much the same plants as you. Crypt lucens, Java Fern, Jungle Val, and Dwarf sag. I just replaced my bulb in January. Perhaps it is a bad bulb? I just don't know what else could be going on. My crypts are actually doing pretty well, but they could do better. My Java Fern, well, I'm sick of seeing its leaves curled down, when all the pictures I see of the plant contain nice erect leaves. My new plants, the jungle vals and the dwarf sags, I think are still in shock from being shipped and will bounce back eventually.

Is it possible you have the fern's leaves in the flow of your filter and the flow is pushing the leaves down?

Do you remember what temperature the bulb was that you got in January? I try to replace my bulbs at least once a year. Sometimes I replace my compact fluorescent more often.

Nope, not in front of filter flow. Bulb if I recall is 6700K. My plants in general could be healthier.

I think 36 is going to be a little much unless you want to add a DIY or pressurized CO2 system. If you want to stick to low and a few medium light plants, the 27W model would be sufficient... it telescopes quite a bit, so you can get it to sit up high enough to get some decent spread, even though it is not quite as wide as your 10gal tank.

How high would it be going? My tank is right next to a TV, so I don't want the light to be too distracting when watching.

I have 1 of these lights on either side of my TV (about 3 feet away on 1 side, and 6 ft away on the other). I haven't noticed it as a problem at all. I am talking about maybe setting it 4-6" off the surface. Even at that high, the fixture directs almost all the light downward, so it is not distracting. I will take a photo so you can see.

The glare looks even worse in the photo than in real life. But you get the idea.

Attachments

• image-189083405.jpg
    image-189083405.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 51
Looks sick. So are you sure the 27W is good? In the PM you said it's for high light...just want to make a final sure before I place the order.

It is high light on my tank, which is only 5 gal. On your tank, I would call it medium low to medium. Remember depth and surface area all have a roll in determining how much light you have available.

It is high light on my tank, which is only 5 gal. On your tank, I would call it medium low to medium. Remember depth and surface area all have a roll in determining how much light you have available.

Good way to look at it. Thanks, I'll order it tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom