Time to upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an old 96ltre tank and have just upgraded to a 1500 litre as need more space for fish which i understand. I have read online about various ways to cycle the tank when its delivered but am unsure what the most effective quickest way is. I have 4 dollars ( Which grow massive ) a sucker, and 2 albeno sharks which i am transferring. I have also bought new substrate, ornaments and heater for new tank but read that some people use the old water from the old tank and put it in new, but i need that water to keep the fish in whilst cycling. What would be the best way to tackle this as I understand a complete new cycle can take 6-8 weeks.

O
Either take the old power filter and media and install it on your new tank, or take the used filter media from your old power filter and load it into your new power filter and attempt to complete an instant cycle. As for adding the old water into the new tank, it might contain dissolved organics, which might provide nutrients for the BB, but will not contain actual BB.
If you go this route be sure to keep up on your regular WC schedule and closely monitor your water parameters.

Thanks! I will transfer filters to the new tank then and fill it with water to cycle I have a testing kit so should be good to go. What would be the best way to transfer the fish? When obviously cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom