Tiny root-like growth out of driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cap125

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this site, so thanks to anyone who can help!

I have a 12 gallon "bookcase" low tech planted tank with about 15 red cherry shrimp, micranthemum monte carlo (which I am trying SO HARD to carpet, which is a separate post, lol) and anubias petite tied amongst the driftwood. I set the tank up in September and it's had the shrimp since the end of December. Everything seems good. There's been one batch of shrimplings, which is fun, because I'm new to crustacean-keeping.

So, onto the issue: Recently, my driftwood has sprouted these weird root-like or hair-like structures. Does anyone have any idea what they are? Should I be worried? I should also note that the growth coincided with a rebloom of the gauzy white stuff that grew on the driftwood when the tank was new.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 20180224_230331[1].jpg
    20180224_230331[1].jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 102
Welcome! Would suspect normal wood fungus but can’t say I’ve seen it like that so hopefully someone will know. Just on the wood and not in eg filter?

Welcome to AA. Might be the start of Staghorn or Hair algae. Doesn't look too serious.

Back
Top Bottom