Tiny slug on polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed a tiny slug on my polyps today. It's about 2-3mm long and moves quickly across them. Any idea what this could be?

I'm getting flatworm exit because I have a ton of flat worms. Could I kill two worms with one stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did it look like the corals? Most likely it is a nudibranch. They look like their food source, usually zoas in this case. I'm not aware of flatworm exit being effective here. You'll want to manually remove any that you see and also dip the coral in a product like coral RX to remove any eggs that would be there. Where there is one there is more.

Did it look like the corals? Most likely it is a nudibranch. They look like their food source, usually zoas in this case. I'm not aware of flatworm exit being effective here. You'll want to manually remove any that you see and also dip the coral in a product like coral RX to remove any eggs that would be there. Where there is one there is more.

It's really small. Can nudibranch be that small?

2-3mm

Sorry for the image quality but if you look you can see dark spots on the center of the last picture. There are some that are brown and some are black but they all have white "spots" coloration.

They kinda look like flat worms but they have a broader range of movement and move quicker like a nudibranch.

They are small though maybe 3-5 mm. Same size as a flat worm. When they're still they almost look like a chiton but I'm 99% sure they're not crustacean.
WHAT ARE THEY?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472659764.323326.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472659785.589438.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472659799.974868.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472659811.155466.jpg

In the first pic you can see one sticking out of the closed polyp.

If it isn't the same colors as the Zoas it's not a nudibranch. It's probably just a harmless polychaete of some type.

They sit on the polyps though. I feel like someone should know what these are. Or have I just discovered a new species? Should I call the news?

Yeah sorry I can't get a better picture but I thought someone could ID from the mix of the pics and my description. I hope they are flatworms because I'm getting flatworm exit tomorrow.

:)

Back
Top Bottom