Tips to prevent High Nitrate(NO3) Levels ? Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhanJee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi
:arrow: 31.03.2006
PH: 7.0 KH: 6.0 PO4: 0 NH3/NH4:0 NO2: <0.3 NO3: 12.5-25

:arrow: 07.05.2006
PH: 7.0 KH: 4.0 PO4: 0.5 NH3/NH4:0 NO2: <0.3 NO3: 100+ 8O

Did no major water change (my mistake :( ) during this time period (may be 10% changed/added after 2 weeks). Filter was regularly cleaned 8) . 2 weeks ago added more fish in the tank 8) .

NO3 is over 100+ 8O which should be < 50 remaining all values looks fine. Tetra test kit can measure only till 100 while my aquarium water is having surprisingly very high which I can't measure with this kit.

Yesterday did immediately 50% water change. Today NO3 level is still not coming on tetra test kit chart range(100+ 8O) Did again today 50% water change.

I am looking for the tips :idea: to prolong PWC stuff OR to prevent unexpected high nitrate levels since I have to go for holidays approx. 3 weeks. Luckily this time there is no fish loss all look fine but if it happens during my absence then then........ :?

Exposure to high nitrates can cause damages to the fish that might not lead to an immediate die off.

As foar as I know the only way to get nitrates to stay down are PWCs (which is why its very important to stick to a regime), planted tanks (but then there are other things to consider when using live plants), or a product called Nitraban (or EasyBalance with Nitraban) made by Tetra however I haven't found that many people are very fond of the product.

I can't find any information on how many fish you have. If you are unable to keep up with regular water changes you should probably keep to a low bio-load

Keep doing water changes to get the Nitrates to 20ppm or below. Then wait a week before your next water change and test it again before you do your next PWC. See how much nitrate you are building.

1 comment: do you have any readings that are newer than May 7th? or is that a typo? :)

both of your tanks appear to be planted with CO2 - in which case I cant imagine having a problem with high nitrates as many of us have to dose additional nitrate.... what's your fish load like? and how many plants are in your tanks?

Jc is right...get the AP liquid kit if you don't have it.

And vaccum the gravel deep and long while doing the changes.

Not sure of your feeding schedule,but this could also be evidence of overfeeding.

I think if the nitrates were truly that high, some fish would be dead. And a 50% water change should lower them atleast a little.

What stock are in the tank? A planted tank shouldn't have a problem with nitrates.

Get a better test kit and test again. If they are still high (over 40ppm), then do 20-30% water changes every other day.

@joannde
I have updated my tank pictures (taken yesterday).
http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1412354
http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1412360
I try to check nitrate levels every week with current fish load. First natural way if not successful then I will think of Easy Balance.

@tbonem91
Time is flying like .... :? In my first post 07.05.2006 is actually 07.06.2006 8O I did this water test after 2 months and in between no water change. Cannot believe myself I did everything wrong. I think its usual after the birth of your first baby. :roll: See the pictures both tanks are planted.

@Jchillin
Never used any test strip. I am using TETRA liquid test kits and result is correct as I have tested the tap water also.

@SCFatz
In Germany TETRA kits are widely used. I never saw any AP test kit in my LFS. Under the gravel Fertile soil mixture don't let me vacuum it deeply. Overfeeding yes here I have to control.

@JustOneMore20
2 days 2 times 50% water change. Now I can see the reading on the test kit chart.
In 26G I am stocking 1 beta, 8 platy, 4 cory, 2 otto, 4 black molly, 16 neon tetra, 10 guppy, 2 pleco type small fish (don't know the name) and medium sized 30-40 guppy/blackmolly/platy fry.
In 14G 2 cory very small 60-70 guppy/platy/blackmolly fry. Its only for breeding purpose.

I don't know how many other club members have seen this but every time I have babies born there is a nitrate spike. Mine went to 60 and 80+ with no known cause. Feeding could be the culprit but it may have to do with the live birth of some species and their birth by products.

A little overstocked but nothing big if they are planted fairly heavy. If not planted medium to heavy, get some more plants. Keep up the water changes and see if you can get them back to normal. As for the substrate, maybe get a couple MTS to stir up the soil. It could have been a buildup of nitrates under the soil that caused the explosion in NO3.

BTW, very nice tanks. Beautiful growth and lots of fry:). Something has to be going well with the fish breeding like they still are. It could still be a faulty test kit so I would at least test it with a known level of NO3 just to make sure.

fish_4_all said:
I don't know how many other club members have seen this but every time I have babies born there is a nitrate spike. Mine went to 60 and 80+ with no known cause. Feeding could be the culprit but it may have to do with the live birth of some species and their birth by products.

A little overstocked but nothing big if they are planted fairly heavy. If not planted medium to heavy, get some more plants. Keep up the water changes and see if you can get them back to normal. As for the substrate, maybe get a couple MTS to stir up the soil. It could have been a buildup of nitrates under the soil that caused the explosion in NO3.

BTW, very nice tanks. Beautiful growth and lots of fry:). Something has to be going well with the fish breeding like they still are. It could still be a faulty test kit so I would at least test it with a known level of NO3 just to make sure.

Babies birth and nitrate spike, never heard before :roll: . Whenever new babies are born its difficult not to feed them very often(may be they are hungry :wink: ) but nitrate level is saying something else. Overfeeding I am trying to control now.
3 days continuously 50% water change, nitrate level is coming back and one of my sick black molly seems to be healthy now. Test kit is not faulty, in the beginning I thought the same but then I tested the tap water all my doughts were gone. Normally you don't need to change that much water in 3 days but NO3 was really high this time thats why taking time to come down. I will keep on doing this until NO3 level is not under 20.

Thanks, I love my tanks soom I am going to add new 52G planted tank, before that I have to know more about fertile soil. If thats the cause of high NO3 then I have to think of an alternate.

fish_4_all said:
Ever since we cycled our 10 gal. the nitrates have been controled by pwc.
They were 20 thursday and i did the weekly 20%.
Friday we had 16-20 mickey mouse fry and today the nitrates were over 80 and am up to .25 and nitrites up to .25.
I would say YES afterbirth or whatever spiked the nitrates in my tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom