To Boil or Not To Boil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got some river driftwood and got on Ebay. I have it soaking in a large pot (with a rock on top because it was floating) and I'd like to know if I should boil it?

:popcorn:

How long do you boil driftwood?

I boil any new DW, kills any unwanted microbes, releases tannins, helps to waterlogged the wood.

After doing this thread I decided to go ahead and boil the driftwood. I figured it couldn't hurt - so its on the stove right now.

Next question - how long do you boil it.

Or if you want all the tannins out. Change the water after 10 min. Of rapid boil and repeat until water runs clear. This works really well.

where is the driftwood from? Just curious. Yeah, you can boil it just to make sure, I'd also give it a good scrub. If it's real driftwood it probably wont have any tannins in it to begin with.

where is the driftwood from? Just curious. Yeah, you can boil it just to make sure, I'd also give it a good scrub. If it's real driftwood it probably wont have any tannins in it to begin with.

Its from Big Wood River in Idaho. I have boiled it for probably 2 hrs and changed the water once. The water was brownish in color. I am going to scrub it as well. Now I have it soaking in a large pan of water weighted down by large rocks because its still floating.

Or if you want all the tannins out. Change the water after 10 min. Of rapid boil and repeat until water runs clear. This works really well.

I did change the water once and it was a dark color. The second time the water was much lighter in color. My understanding is that the Tannins won't hurt my fish, but will discolor the tank water for a time.

Maltimomma said:
I did change the water once and it was a dark color. The second time the water was much lighter in color. My understanding is that the Tannins won't hurt my fish, but will discolor the tank water for a time.

Tannins do not hurt your fish they will only color your tank water!

gabysapha said:
Is it bad for it to color the tank water?

No it's not bad for the fish or anything. Some people go for this look of colored water. More natural like lakes and river color!

I've finished boiling and now I'm soaking the driftwood since some still float. I've read that you can tie rocks on them to weight them down using cotton thread or string. Has anyone tried that? They will be soaking for a few days and then I'll scrub them.

Any driftwood I have owned has never floated. I know that some people screw the wood to a piece of slate.

I've finished boiling and now I'm soaking the driftwood since some still float. I've read that you can tie rocks on them to weight them down using cotton thread or string. Has anyone tried that? They will be soaking for a few days and then I'll scrub them.

Yes you can try that method and see if by the time the thread wears away, the DW is waterlogged enough to float. Another would be to screw it on a piece of slate which is quite common.

Some DW .. literally ... just refuses to sink. However, Mopani and Malaysian DW sold in LFS's sink. Granted it's not free ... but it is another option.

My DW never sunk so i got some slate and drilled a hole (drills really easy) and then screwed them together with a galvanized deck screw. Works great.

Galvanized treatment is a coating. There are several types, but hot dipped would provide the best resitance to rust. However, all of them will fail over time. If you want it to last in water, go with Stainless Steel.

Back
Top Bottom