to buy or not to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriendly94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There is a local garden center in my town that has a fish/aquarium section.they have a reputationfor good prices and healthy happy fish. however they do not prescribe to the idea of cycling a tank. they say to set up the tank and let it run 24-48 hour then gradually stock up the tank over the course of a few weeks to a couple months and just do your weekly pwc. that's the way my dad did it for years with his 20 gallon and it always worked for him. they also tell their customers the inch per gallon rule. they have flawed principles however they have great fish and take good care of them. should i continue to get my fish there or look further afield.

If they have good stock?? Absolutely! Most fish fish stores offer crap advice, and crap stock for the matter. It is up to you as an aquarist to do the research and go into the fish store knowing exactly what you need to do in order to provide your selection with the best possible habitat and tank mates!

There is a local garden center in my town that has a fish/aquarium section.they have a reputationfor good prices and healthy happy fish. however they do not prescribe to the idea of cycling a tank. they say to set up the tank and let it run 24-48 hour then gradually stock up the tank over the course of a few weeks to a couple months and just do your weekly pwc. that's the way my dad did it for years with his 20 gallon and it always worked for him. they also tell their customers the inch per gallon rule. they have flawed principles however they have great fish and take good care of them. should i continue to get my fish there or look further afield.

What they are describing here is a fish - in cycle.... so they do subscribe after all :)

Back
Top Bottom