to clean or not to clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffalochip

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am cycling a tank with fish. I have been at this for almost a month and with diligent water changes all is still well. Have finally gotten ammonia down and now the nitrites are going up. I have two questions. (1) should i wash my filter pad in tank water now or will this interrupt the cycling process by washing off the bacteria?? and (2) will it take as long for the nitrites to go down as it did the ammonia??:thanks:

I wouldn't rinse your media out unless flow is severely obstructed at this point. IMO. Sounds like your getting there.

Ditto to question 1. Don't clean your filters during cycling unless you have to, and then just enough agitation in old tank water to remove grunge, but if you are doing a fishless cycle then there shouldn't be any.
Question 2. Nitrite to nitrate bacteria develops after the ammonia to nitrite bacteria have established enough to provide the 'food' it requires, ie nitrites. The time this stage takes varies but I would keep ammonia up to about 4ppm during this stage to maintain bacteria levels. When nitrites fall and nitrates rise, off the scale normally, then you can water change to reduce the nitrates.
The accepted rule is that 4ppm ammonia is converted to give zero ammonia and zero nitrites and huge nitrates within 24 hrs. Then you are cycled and prior to adding fish do a massive water change, conditioned water of course, to reduce nitrates to below 20.
It is quite common for both types of bacteria to grow simultaneously and for there to be no detectable nitrite reading. This mostly happens if your filter has been seeded with media from another tank. If you have not seeded your filter then it's a bit of a waiting game.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom