To feed or not to feed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep hearing dont over feed... How much am I supposed to feed. Is there a rule of thumb somewhere I dont know about??? Mine will eat until they explode seriously.. They eat until there bellys bulge. I have extra in the way of clean up crew to get the left overs....

A very good question. I feed my six fish (small ones I have a reef tank) about 1/3 of a cube a day. ( These are the standard frozen cubes) It takes them about 30 seconds to eat it all. I also have them fast 2 days a week. I am curious to see what others do. 8)

I currently feed a whole cube of reefladys mix. I only have a blue hippo, clown, firefish, damsel, and a papjama card. they are uncultured heathens at dinner time..... :wink:

Here is my fish feeding days:

Sunday I don't feed them
Monday I feed them late afternoon
Tuesday I feed them late Afternoon
Wednesday I don't feed them
Thursday I feed them late afternoon
Friday I feed them late afternoon

They all get fed as much they can eat in five minutes!
Damsels: Flake food, frozen cubes (brine shrimps)
Lionfishes: Rosey reds, ghost shrimps, frozen silver slides
Royal gramma: Flake food and frozen shrimp
Triggers and eels: same as lionfishes
Sea horses: live or frozen brien shrimps

Happy Holidays! :D

reefrunner69 said:
I feed once every couple of days, or every third day.

Wow, so you don't feed your fish everyday? I though daily feeding was what most people did and was pretty much necessary?

think about it this way.....in the wild fish dont get nearly as much to eat as they do in your tanks especially fish like lionfish that have to hunt down prey so feeding them once a week is prolly more than they get in the wild.

Wow, so you don't feed your fish everyday? I though daily feeding was what most people did and was pretty much necessary?

I believe it is what most people do, but it is not necessary. I feed as much as they can eat in a few minutes every other day (more often than not, every third day). This is more than enough to sustain them since I also have a refugium and they get a good supply of pods as well as my feedings ;)

Great info Kev.. Thanks No wonder mone look more like a hurd of cattle then fish.. :lol: I do have one more through. I go out of twon on the weekends alot and sometimes I am gone for 4 to 5 days. I have had someone over to feed. Are you saying that I could easly leave them for up to 4 days with no food and have no worries??

feeding

No I do not feed them everyday. I give them a day or two to fast, it's good for them to go for a couple of day without eating. Try some ways yourself to see which one is the best way for you!

Back
Top Bottom