To much light? Or shall the sun be stronger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cxAcan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am running about 55W of led blue/white with a touch of magenta over a 40 gal deep 20/20/20 reef.. I was curious if this is indeed possibly too much lighting however I would love to add another 5 or 10 watt blue just for a solitude nighttime flare at the end of the night what do you experts think? The light fixture is a good half foot maybe more above the tank and currently have the magenta light on by itself for an hour after the beginning 7 hours

Attachments

• image-555330641.jpg
    image-555330641.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 127
too much light really has nothing to do "how many watts" you have over the tank, the intensity is measure in PAR and most coral are not use to sudden change of the par level. you can have a healthy colony of Zoa even under strong lighting and same type of zoa can get kill in a different tank under the same lighting. It is really comes down to the reaction of your coral. I will suggest to just get enough PAR to support the certain coral that u keeping and don't go overkill on the tank. Putting more PAR than your coral needs doesn't make your coral grow faster or healthier, the balance of your system does.

I'm still trying to figure out why people have lighting systems much more powerful (PAR LEVELS) than our own sun where corals naturally grow ??

Back
Top Bottom