To Sump or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FM91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about starting 55 gallon salt water FOWLR aquarium soon, and I am researching protein skimmers, but first I guess I need to decide if having a sump or a hang on back model is best for a novice like me...and which skimmer would be best without breaking the bank....any info is appreciated

Sumps are much better then HOBs. They hide equipment, add water volume, reduce nitrates (with refugium), and provides more surface area for your BB. For the protein skimmer check out bulk reef supply and get in on a group buy from them on here with Carey. The reef octopus skimmers are good along with the bubble Magnus

Thanx for the info!!! Would a 20 gallon sump suffice for a 55 gallon tank?

Ya that would be perfect. The 20 longs are best imo

As far as power heads in a 55 Gall FOWLR, I read that 2-3 powerheads at 250 gph each would be about right for my tank...does that sound about right?

2 powerhead on opposite side of the tank is fine. At least 550gph (total) is good in your FOWLR system. Sumps are a good thing for any SW tank.

Check the size inside your stand. I'm also looking to add a sump but my 55 stand only has 11 inches front to back inside. So that rules out a 20 or even a 10 gallon standard tank. I'm trying to find a 15 tall tank.

I've seen some sumps that are in sections in for instance a 20 gallon tank..besides a protein slimmer , what else would be in a sump below the main tank? Would the quarantine tank also be located below the main tank?

FM91 said:
I've seen some sumps that are in sections in for instance a 20 gallon tank..besides a protein slimmer , what else would be in a sump below the main tank? Would the quarantine tank also be located below the main tank?

You would have you first section usually a skimmer then a refugium (optional) and then you return section

And quarantine tanks are completely seperate systems

Thanx for all the info MrC....so if I decide against the refugium, then I just need two sections in the sump tank.....One for skimmer & other section for return?

Yep that would be just fine, have your water drain into your skimmer section then add a bubble trap then have your return with your return pump. did you get measurements for your stand though to see what will fit? Keep in mind though there is more then one way to design a sump so Google DIY sump build or something and get as much info you can to find what will work best for you and your tank.

Oh ok...I'm still in the fact finding phase, tryin to learn as much as I can..Don't wanna run out & buy things without understanding all that I need to know first...I'm learning alot though

Go the sump with a decent skimmer far better in long run increases water capacity in tank, the more water per fish the better.

Check out ebay for sumps that will fit better inside of your stand than regular aquariums.

For example, this sump has baffles in place, and is only 9" in width but is a 21gallon sump:
21 Gal Refugium-Sump Wet/Dry Aquarium Filter 36X9X15 | eBay

I have an 18 gallon version of the exact same thing and it rocks :) It's a little more expensive than an aquarium as a sump though.

Back
Top Bottom