Todays DIY project - glass DIY 4.2 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacca

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I made both of these. The dimensions on them 9" x 12" x 9" they are 4.2 gallon tanks. Have to let the silicone dry and then leak test them. Not sure what I am gonna do with them yet. Need to make filters for them and then get heaters.

Attachments

• image-3036469184.jpg
    image-3036469184.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 123
  • image-733956311.jpg
    image-733956311.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3272608582.jpg
    image-3272608582.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 111
Did you say make filters?
It would be super cool if you could make mini sumps for them or something... maybe use a one gallon rectangle tank as one for both...

The glass is 1/8 inch thick it is from an old window. I am gonna make sponge filters for them.

Those would make really nice shrimp tanks, not big enough for most fish. You could conect them with an inverted tank/tube, if you are intrested I could draw some plans.

Sure I am always open to suggestions. Do you mean tube connecting the two tanks where the shrimp can travel back and forth?

Yes if you see my display picture or go to my thread "open bottom tanks" you will get an idea of the concept. In your case it would not be just a tower, but two going into each tank and connected at the top. If you look it up on Youtube you can get a better idea. I only have my iPad with me right now, so sorry for the bad sketch, but you should get the idea.

Attachments

• image-3637716136.jpg
    image-3637716136.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 95
Of course, check the thread I have and look it up on Youtube and Google. Its very simple to do and maintence is not that hard, specially with such small tanks.

I leak tested them yesterday 24 hrs no leaks. Now to figure out filtration heating lighting and a stand.

Those would be cool little tanks to be on a stand in a bathroom. I am imagining someone going to the bathroom and watching the fish swim around.... LOL

Not sure where I am going to put them. I may put them in my living room. I already have 2 tanks in my living room 1 in the den and I am building another for the bedroom.

Well I cut some more glass this morning. I cut enough pieces for a 20l x 12w x 12h tank which comes to 12 gallons. I will be putting it together tonight and probably leak test it monday.

Here are pics of the 12 gallon tank.

Attachments

• image-2941443740.jpg
    image-2941443740.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3151667994.jpg
    image-3151667994.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 84
So I filled it this morning to leak test it and I noticed it is bowing in the middle of the 2 sides. How do I go about bracing it to stop it from bowing?

Never mind went out side to check on it and the whole bottom of the tank shattered. Guess it couldn't take the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom