Todd's Square 35g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's why I try not to do impulse buys. :). Anyone else have experience with those having issues with one another. I'm kinda leaning towards going with just the pistol if I have to choose between the two.

Pistols are pretty funny though, mine snaps the turkey baster whenever im feeding and has sand wars with me. I take some sand from his piles and shoot it back into his burros and he shoots it right back out,Ive had a war with him go on for up to 30 minutes!

No real progress on this tank lately. Too much else in life taking up the free time that could be spent working on getting the stand taller. I'm almost ready to just leave it shorter and get it going .

I have been grabbing frags on eBay as I find good deals. Got a green mushroom this week that glows yellowish even with both the white/blue LEDs on. This Friday I have a Green Monti, a Red/Green Favia, a small frag of Blue Tubs Zoas coming and the guy is throwing in a couple small Lava Lamp Mushrooms. I will post pics this weekend...

I also found a 5" Purple/Green Favia on CL that the guy is holding for me for a couple weeks when I will be driving by his place a couple of hours away.

All the stuff coming Friday is pretty small. I think the Blue Tubs is like 4-5 polyps. The Monti looks like a nice shape though. Sometimes I see them and it looks like they were just hacked when fragged. Almost looks like a pre- school kid took scissors to it.

Just won a Jedi Mind Trick frag and the guy is throwing in some small Lava Lamp mushrooms. Can't wait for Friday...

Sorry... just another eBay win...same seller as the other frags and he's throwing in the mushrooms for free, which is cool of him.

I love Jedi mind trick! The blue rim and the red polyps, it's an amazing contrast.

This is another small piece, but looks nice.

Little by little, I am looking at the 240g and thinking...maybe reef? :) It has been a long time since I've done my own reef and it was back in the early internet years, where you saw what the LFS had and that was it (which was usually not a lot). Now I'm seeing all these ridiculously cool corals and am starting to think this 24x 24 isn't gonna hold enough. I've got access to an importer for fish and corals (actually getting the fish/coral boxes at LAX) and am considering buying a box of corals, fragging them, keeping a piece and selling the others. I think I would actually end up making money while getting "free" corals.

Here's what I got yesterday...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718218.982255.jpg
Jedi Mind Trick Monti

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718269.720479.jpg
Blazing Red and Green Favia

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718326.977912.jpg
Green Monti Cap

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718461.451830.jpg
Tubs Blue Zoas

The Lava Lamp mushrooms are tough to get a good picture of, but this is what they look like...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393718544.291242.jpg

LOVE LOVE the tubbs! I am such a huge fan of the blue zoos its not funny. lol

I had a small frag of them but they didnt make it and got burned up when I put them under the taos. :-(

I like them a lot too. They just opened up right before I took that pic. I was kinda worried as my others always opened up right away. I also really like the Favia. It's about an inch and I'm going to get a 5" purple/green one next weekend.

How's the cube coming along? I know you're thinking of eventually upgrading to a 60, how do you think that'll hold up on your top floor? Obviously, assuming your bedroom is on the top floor lol

I'm only asking because I'm thinking of putting a bigger tank in my room but it's on the third floor and I'm a little worried.

I've got a single story home, so I don't have that concern. I'm not sure I would worry about a 60g on another level, but I'm not sure what size should get people worried.

I have been moving slower on this tank than I would like, but other family matters have taken a lot of my free time lately. The frags that I have purchased all seem to be doing great so far. I did spray two sides black last week, so that was some progress, at least. I think that I am just going to keep the stand low for now, instead of the original idea of trying to add to the stand to make it taller. I'm thinking too much work that could end up not looking right and then will be tough to sell when I upgrade.

If all goes as planned, I will get it set up next weekend. Throw in sand, some live rock and start testing parameters.

Looking forward to it coming together!what paint did you use to spray? I've used acrylic paint but over time it chips away and if saltwater gets on it you can see a line going down through the tank.

Oh, and I was only asking because I was looking at a 35 cube for my 3rd floor bedroom but I'd like to fit a 45 cube instead but I'm worried about the weight with a 20g sump, rock, water, etc. Anyway, I don't want to hijack.

I don't remember exactly what I sprayed it with. I figure it will hold up for a while. I want to upgrade towards the end of the year and will likely scrape it off when I sell it.

I would ask on the regular boards about the upper level tank. I'm sure others will have had that concern/experience.

I don't consider it hijacking. :) No worries.

Just realized that I never updated with this weekend's purchases. Not the best pictures, but got a purple/green Favia. It looks a little rough and dull, but I am hoping it will look better over time.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394848808.831760.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394848840.067870.jpg

And my hopefully not stupid impulse but, a female Leopard Wrasse. I've heard they are tough, but it looked healthy and was eating pellets. We will see how this goes...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394848975.774818.jpg
The pic is from the guy I purchased it from, so only the one on the front, not the one in the back in this picture. I can't get a good shot, as it hides when I get too close .

Back
Top Bottom