too low ph!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psyched102

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Group,

My home tank is a 50 gallons. Its ph is around 6, maybe lower. Not good. Explains why my mollies and other live bearer's went to sleep at Davie Jone's locker.

I have the strips and the api chem test set which both tell me that ph is real low. I use my tap water to which i add a dechlorinator. I have tested the water coming out of the tap and it is low to begin with.....drats!

I have read on the web to use coral or peat or slowly introduce bicarb soda.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
craig
down to 6 fish

Not peat. Peat will try to lower the pH further still. Crushed coral in a filter bag would help. This will slowly raise the pH over time. If you can fit it in your filter that's the best outcome, but not necessary if you cannot.

Your Tank

Hello phych...

You're really in luck with an acidic tank chemistry. It's perfect for aquatic plants. If you have basic lighting and can become an aggressive water changer, then go for the darker plants. Anubias, Java fern, any of the mosses, Anacharis and Hornwort will thrive your tank's water conditions. The floating plants may help maintain a better water chemistry too. Add some driftwood too. All these will make for a very nice looking tank.

B

thank you very much....any ideas of where to get crushed coral? I live two miles from the beach and can collect and crush it.....

--craig

Crushed coral will definitely get your ph up, it issue will be water changes, you'll have to store water or else the ph shift will be bad news for fishies, i think you can use baking soda to achieve the same thing, that would be a better option if storing water is a no go..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Baking soda would be the better option. It will allow you to use the tap without having to premix, as the baking soda acts as a buffer. It is what is used in swimming pools for that purpose.

Hello Group,

I am doing weekly water changes....since a lot of the fish died, i have taken the plastic plants out to make it easier to clean up the detritus (from the real plants, dead fish and left over food).

So i am doing 10 gallon water changes about every three days and vacuuming the gravel as well. I am thinking about getting rid of the undergravel filtration system as i can see a lot of the cah-cah under it.

If any one has the undergravel system, and has found an easy way to vac it....could you let me know?

My tank at work is much easier to work with as it doesn't have the undergravel system.

Ditch that relic and get yourself a proper filter:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello again,

I do have external filters on the tank.....one is a magnum 350, one is a HOB which i use as a mechanical filter and i just got a 4 stage external but haven't installed it as of yet.

I also have a homemade "fluid" filter with k1 (kaldnes) in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom