too many decorations? lol -- 55gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even with his leave me alone face he is a beautiful Oscar. And as far as your tank goes, I like all the color, but the theme seems to be chaos unlimited.
But I'm one to talk. My Cichlid tank has a lot in it too. I didn't want to put just gray rocks. So I have it set up as a river scene with caves and wood and tall leafy plants that flows to the ocean on the other side. Where I have reef caves and sea anemones and some florescent plants and a sunken pirate ship. Oh and in the center of the tank I have a terrace with a couple rock caves under it. Plants are woven in and around all of it to make great hiding places for the Cichlids.
So mine is just as busy and chaotic as yours, just in a different way.
Just like gardens our aquariums are for our own enjoyment and our fishes comfort. OP opinions don't really matter all that much when it comes down to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys!

yeah i def love my oscar.. he hates my girlfriend but loves me.. i have a vid of what he does when she goes near the tank & its hilarious!

i'll upload the vid to flicr & post the link or somethin..

i'm also gonna repost my new & improved design on saturday when i finish.. i've seen too many tanks that crush mine in comparison lol.. not to mention the beating i took from our fellow AA-ers haha s'all good now i'm gonna design a masterpiece!!

thanks guys!

yeah i def love my oscar.. he hates my girlfriend but loves me.. i have a vid of what he does when she goes near the tank & its hilarious!

i'll upload the vid to flicr & post the link or somethin..

i'm also gonna repost my new & improved design on saturday when i finish.. i've seen too many tanks that crush mine in comparison lol.. not to mention the beating i took from our fellow AA-ers haha s'all good now i'm gonna design a masterpiece!!

Since he may dig up the plants anyway, there are some really beautiful floating plants. Some of them hang down like they are on a trellis and have delicate looking little flowers. Others are like English Ivy dripping down. Since they are already floating they can't be dug up.
Does your big guy have a name?m I hate just calling he, him or it. A name would be good, and so would the video :popcorn: .

we originally named him Octavious Oscar Dirty or double OD for short but now we just call him oscar lol

& i was gonna make a NEW THREAD but maybe someone who sees this can assist...

i was thinking of using sewing thread to tie a small rock to my fake plants so they would stay down even when Double OD moves them around..

is the thread a hazard to my fish? could i also possibly use fishing line?

HELP IS BEYOND APPRECIATED!!

thanks!!

we originally named him Octavious Oscar Dirty or double OD for short but now we just call him oscar lol

& i was gonna make a NEW THREAD but maybe someone who sees this can assist...

i was thinking of using sewing thread to tie a small rock to my fake plants so they would stay down even when Double OD moves them around..

is the thread a hazard to my fish? could i also possibly use fishing line?

HELP IS BEYOND APPRECIATED!!

thanks!!

With thread or fishing line there is always a chance it may break loose and get caught on OD's gills. If your not there when it happens he could die. But I do have a way to do it safely.
All you need is a High temp Hot Glue Gun and the High temp Glue sticks, the low temp falls apart in the warm water.
You can glue the plants to anything you want. If your tank was new you could hot glue them to the bottom of the tank and they'd never move.
You could even hot glue plants to the oh so many decorations you have.
It's completely safe for fish. I glue Plants all the time with hot glue, it works great and it's easy

AWESOME!!

thanks Wendi!!!!!

i was unsure about using glue of any kind, super or hot, & i always forget to ask my buds @ my local fish shop if it was safe lol

i cant wait to get outta work & start on my new fish tank 'moteef' or however you spell it haha

i'll probably try using some small heavyish rocks so that Double OD can still redesign

Motif, is how you spell the word. It's a good idea to leave some things DOD can push around, they like doing that some times. Get as creative as you want, it's your tank.

You could also aquarium silicon like they sell to fix leaks. It's way sticky and you can use it to glue aquarium gravel to the bottom so it will sink. Then big O can toss it around but it won't just float up. I use it for quarantine tanks since there's no gravel in them.

ronnieroach said:
oh & BigTay -- i bought my oscar in november of 2009 so hes just over a year old.. he was 1 1/2" when i got him.. attached are pics from november 09 & then from a few months ago

Ok,i had two of them, had to sell em do,went to the pet shop yesterday to see them but he sold them, hope they got a nice home

UPDATE:

Going to walmart w/ hopes of finding a hot glue gun. Once found, I'll be coming back home to set up all my new plants & redo the tank - A BIT!! lol ..

Regardless of allllll the.. and i mean alllllllllllll the preverbial 'downward thumbskis' that the pic got, I'm a bright & wild dude so my tanks gonna be a lil tweaked. At least a lil funky, ya feel me? lol

ronnieroach said:
UPDATE:

Going to walmart w/ hopes of finding a hot glue gun. Once found, I'll be coming back home to set up all my new plants & redo the tank - A BIT!! lol ..

Regardless of allllll the.. and i mean alllllllllllll the preverbial 'downward thumbskis' that the pic got, I'm a bright & wild dude so my tanks gonna be a lil tweaked. At least a lil funky, ya feel me? lol

It's your tank,if u like how it is, it's ur decision, don't let nobody change u,I was just joking on my comments.....

lol i thought the comment you quoted wouldve explained it well but if not....

for real, my feelings arent hurt & im not uprooting my tank because of what you folks said :)

i posted the pic cuz i added new fish & w/ them added most of my decor.. i wanted to see what ppl thought of my circus but also what they would change, remove or praise haha

i'm not a touchy person so rag if you wanna, i dont mind lol

UPDATE:

no glue guns @ walmart but home depot was a success! gonna wash some rocks from my unused bag & weigh down some NEW & old plants! {:eek:)

very stoked!!

I love it! It's so colorful! Does your Oscar push stuff around ever?

oops! i didnt know h-e-double-l was a swear!! im posting again because they might remove my first one....

HECK yeah he does, MJC lol

thats why i'm hot glueing my heavy gravel to my plants today; so when he does try to rip up / move the plants, they wont float to the top

Hi ronnie,
Just checking on how your redo is going and if the Hot glue is working for you.
Also I'm glad your not changing it to much. It may be a bit chaotic but I do love all the color. Just green, brown, and/or gray get boring pretty quick.

hi wendi

i'm actually just about to get started now so i'll def post a pic today when i'm done.

all the people on this forum are tellin me that my tank is beyond packed & that all my fish are all wrong for eachother lol

i admitt i dont know an insane amount about fish but i havent had problems w/ anyone yet. obviously they'll outgrow the 55gal but for now no one seems too agressive or too cramped :) but then again, what do i know haha

Back
Top Bottom