Too many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
Due to some unexpected procreation I have more fish than I should. I have a guppy who was in isolation for 10 weeks and dropped fry two days after being put in a display tank.

Anyway right now I have a 16gal with a aquaclear30 stocked with 3 adult Platy, 2 baby Platy, 3 guppies, 2 cory and 2 Ghost Shrimp. This is a low light low tech planted tank. Understanding that the babies are going to grow up I dont think this tank is in too bad a shape.

The Problem tank is a 10gal in my boys room with a Quite Flow 10 filter that has 4 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 2 swordtails, and a clown pleco. The pleco was a newbie mistake on my part, and has found a place inside a shipwreck decoration that makes him impossible to monitor. All but one of these guppies is still in the fry stage, but mom, we'll call her Mary ;), looks like she might drop again. This tank is grossly over stocked and under filtered I think.

After playing around with aq advisor I am thinking of putting the clown pleco in the 16gal, and ungrading the 10gal filter to a quiteflow 20. I have read that plecos can be rough on planted tanks. My wife will flip if I tell her I need a bigger tank so not an option. I have a science teacher friend who is thinking about starting a tank in her room which would solve my problem, but until then... what do you all think?

moving the clown pleco would work they do stay small though. the pleco should be fine in a planted tank. with livebearers breeding its always going to be hard to keep the tanks from being over stocked. personally i feel the 2 swordtails in a 10 gallon is worse off them the clown pleco in the 10.

Back
Top Bottom