Too much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugarte1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if leaving my led lights on for to long can hurt my coral ?

Just like people corals and fish need time to recharge. I would not leave on more than 12 hours.

I get away with leaving my lights for 8 hours a day - the last hour being my blue led moonlights only, and my corals are doing very well. I would gradually cut back and be cautious of any algae build-up from excessive light.

That is way too much and not only unnecessary but also a waste of electricity. Fish need to be exposed to both daytime light and nighttime just like us humans are.

have quite a lot of shade due to a rock ledge its almost complete darkness

Agree, you definitely need a period of total darkness. I run 8 hours full lighting with an hour of blues either side then total darkness, all of my corals close over for the night and the fishes sleep.

might try see if it aids the growth on my pulsing xenia, thanks

had some saving bulbs in so that cost wasnt that high but the bulbs were expensive

I too agree. No way will corals and fish survive under a 24/7 lighting period. As I mentioned above the have to have a recharge period.

Par 38 and a standard 11 watt bulb the corals colour has brightened as well as an increase in size

Back
Top Bottom