too much substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
In some of my stocking research I have seen substrate depth specifications for some fish ie. mollies only 1/8". Why does it matter (if they don't burry themselves) and how do the fish know how deep the substrate is?

From various things I have read I suspect that my substrate (PFS) is probably much too thick (1.5-3.5 inches in different places).

I haven't seen that suggestion before with mollies so I can't help with that question. In regards to your PFS, you can have it as deep as you want. We have tanks ranging from 1 inch to 5 inches of sand. Just make sure you stir the sand and you will be fine. If you want, add some MTS to do the stirring for you.

Yep, I'm not familiar with substrate depths for specific fish - but there are some guidelines for planted tanks, that they should have deeper substrates to keep the plants down (2-3 inches). But even that is just a guideline and not always necessary. Also, some tanks have a sloping substrate - with deeper substrate in the back of the tank and shallower in the front. :)

your substrate thickness is PERFECT. There is nothing wrong w/how much you have. Some people make it deeper to put plants in (for the roots to grow) and others just like the look. Also, if you have a fish like kuhli loaches, which burry themselves, it also helps to have deeper substrate like yours. The only thing i can think of is, some fish require higher tanks, or swimm up and down more than side to side, therefore, if the substrate is high, that takes away some of their swimming space. I for one like the thicker substrate but its pretty much personal preference imo.

hth

Thanks for the good news.. I am slowly switiching to a planted tank and kuhli loaches are likely to be my next acquisition so this is great to hear... not to mention that I just like to be able to see some of the sand from the side of the tank.

yep. I've got kuhlies in about 3 inch sand...its funny to watch them tho...sometimes when they're under the sand, you can see a big lump moving under the sand...kinda like bugs bunny lol.

and the deep sand will help the plants a ton..and if you wanted, you could put some fert under the sand too...that'd really help them.

Your substrate can be as think as you like - Just make sure it doesn't turn anaerobic!

oh ya, that would be the one thing you gotta watch w/it...just make sure every now and then you stir it up...whenver you do water changes is fine, but it wouldnt even have to be that often imo.

Oh yes- I have a straightened hanger that I cut the sand with every once and a while (someone on AA suggested this).

I had no idea Kuhlis did that- fun. At my lfs they don't even have substrate of any kind in their tank.

Back
Top Bottom