Top, middle or bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawkeye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I'm slowly stocking a 50g and I'm researching POTENTIAL tank mates. I want a nice mix, if possible, of top, middle and bottom swimmers. So far, I have 7 Platies that occupy all levels. Will this change with tank mates? So can anyone advise on the area the following occupy....
Red Tailed Black Shark-bottom?
Leopard Cories-bottom?
Dwarf Gourami-top?
German Rams-bottom?
I think I have these correct? The following I'm not sure about...
Harlequin Rasboras
Guppies
Scissortails
Zebra Danios

Thanks for you help
Hawkeye

Cory cats are great for the bottom also my harlequins swim in the middle all the time!

Gouramis swim in all levels IME. They need to be able to get to the surface though because they like to come up and gulp air from time to time. The others your asking about are all middle swimmers I believe

I agree. The three others are middle-dwellers. My two male gourami are everywhere. Top to gulp, bottom to forage, middle to hide. Pretty peaceful. I like to throw them in a molly/platy tank. They do well.

Penguin tetras,
I bought some and was surprised at how much they swim in the upper levels of the tank which is where I needed some movement. They also seem to school together almost as tightly as rummy nose tetras. OS.

My zebras started out strictly top, now they spend 60% up top and the test all over the place, very active, guppies seem to hang mostly at the top.

I'd be worried about the shark bothering the cories or rams.

But it definitely sounds like an interesting tank!
(y)

I'm just looking at potentials. I do love red tailed sharks and would prefer him to a Gourami if I could only have one or the other. I've had them with Cory's before with no issues.

The sharks really are pretty peaceful with any thing but another shark IME. Mine always is cruising my plants munching and pays no attention to any fish, including my opaline gourami.

Hmm, okay I always thought that they were pretty territorial. There's no doubt in my mind that they can be aggressive to some fish, but I guess not all.

I think sometimes you get lucky and just get a wimpy guy!

Back
Top Bottom