torn between real and fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merchgod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I keep flip flopping on whether or not to use real plants in my upcoming 12 gallon freshwater setup (either Nanocube or Marineland 12). I've been reading about easy-to-care plants species like Anubias, Cryptocoryne, Java Moss, etc. that require low light.

Is it possible, with these types of plants (or others), to grow without the extra expense of CO2 injection, upgraded lighting and fertilizers? Or is it just a waste of time to try it otherwise? Will they live on just well-maintained water, "standard" lighting with pruning as needed? I also read that most plants won't live for more than a year in a aqarium and will signficantly degrade over time, because they are accustomed to the seasonal drop in water level that occurs in nature.

Any low-light plant does not need CO2 or fancy lights. Java ferns and java moss are 2 that do well, as well as anubias. They basically live on just what's in the water. If you have fish, fish provide a bioload, which provides food for the plants. I have java moss in my 26G, and never really needed to add anything at all. But now I have a little better light, so I just add Excel, as I don't use CO2 in this tank. And I have a few new plants as well that need the better lighting.

As for plants like java moss and java ferns, and anubias, you don't really need any fertalizers, as the fish provide it for you. And you just do the standard pruning, as needed. And yes, you still need to maintain your water changes. That will keep both your plants and fish happy and healthy.

As for not living more than a year, never heard of that one. I could imagine what some of the beautiful tanks out there would look like if that were the case. Wouldn't be worth putting the money or time into it. Also, my java moss has been in my tank well over a year, and just keeps getting better looking all the time.

Hope this helps....

I read the info about the limited life of plants in "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter Scott:

"Plants often start out well in the aquarium but then fade. The major reason for this is that in the wild, most aquatic plants experience an annual period of low water-levels when they are at least partially out of the water. This is when they reproduce, bearing flowers with seeds that are pollinated by insects)...Most of the plants will not flower when submerged in the tank; after about a year they weaken, although some may last up to 3 years. Some plants need a seasonal resting phase, but this, too, is impossible in a tank. The only solution is to replace the plants with new, strong and healthy specimens."

I kept a great planted eclipse 12 using annubias, ludwiga repens, java fern and bolbitus...

I had 1 watt per gallon and used excel liquid instead of injected co2.

in many ways it looked better than my high tech set up because it didn't suffer from collectoritis. The plants and fish did great. I did invest in a good subtrate (eco complete) looked nicer than regular gravel too.

The nano cubes have more light. you can go for medium light plants even..

I started the tank as a gift for my then 2 year old, with plastic plants and all the experience I had as a kid with fish... At the time I believed real plants would just rot and make a mess and I was actually proud of my decision to go plastic. I got some annubias just because a fish store nearby convinced me it would give my fish oxygen.. I got the tinest most pathetic specimins in the world.

The fish hovered near them and avoided the plastic like the plague.. I started tearing out the plastic and buying real plants.

I was hooked. I don't know if my plants fade or not. IN the real life world of planted tanks a lot of "pruning" involves cutting off and replanting the newest shoots and tossing the older bottoms.. But those original little annubias plants are still going strong more than 2 years later !!!

merchgod said:
I read the info about the limited life of plants in "The Complete Aquarium" by Peter Scott:

"Plants often start out well in the aquarium but then fade. The major reason for this is that in the wild, most aquatic plants experience an annual period of low water-levels when they are at least partially out of the water. This is when they reproduce, bearing flowers with seeds that are pollinated by insects)...Most of the plants will not flower when submerged in the tank; after about a year they weaken, although some may last up to 3 years. Some plants need a seasonal resting phase, but this, too, is impossible in a tank. The only solution is to replace the plants with new, strong and healthy specimens."

Not at all true to the degree that is being discussed. For the most part, the plants being described are of the high-light, difficult to maintain variety. Low-light species such as java ferns, anubias, hornwort and anacharis will live for years and after clippings, have several offspring.

Take a look at the pics in my sig, these are all growing in a low-light environment with no bells and whistles, some are over a year old (ferns and swords).

Back
Top Bottom