Total Wattage requirement of a typical 2-filter setup...help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caliskier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I was wondering how may watts my setup is. I have a normal sized heater, normal sized air supply for the air-stones, two Emperior 400 filters, two 3-foot long lights. I know that is not much of a discription, but I am wondering when everything is turned on am I getting upwords of 400-500 W, how many watts are we talking here, ballpark?

Thanks

Not sure what normal sized exactly means in your case, as you don't mention the size of your tank. I have heaters ranging from 25 watts to 300 watts on tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 110- And according to manufactors specs, that 300 watt heater is underpowered.

Your heater will be the biggest thing, and it's just a guess what it is- maybe 200 watts? Heaters depend on tank size, and you didn't give your tank size. You have two emperor 400's, which makes me think 100+ gallons. You mention 2 36 inch lights, so it's either a 3 foot or 6 foot tank?

Filter- I have no idea. You can contact Marineland via their website (www.marineland.com) or by phone- Their number is on the website. You might also check your filter itself- I just checked the filter on my 10 gallon, and it's labeled 5 watts. Check near the motor housing, maybe on the bottom.

A 3 foot light also is not enough of a description. If it's a single tube, each light is probably 25 or 30 watts. The light bulb probably has it printed on it.
If it's a CF, it could be 96 watts per light. The label on your light fixture itself may not be accurate- That'll be what the ballast is rated. You want the number off the light bulb.

Finally, your air supply- Again, not a clue. I just checked my Whisper 60, it's labeled 4 watts. Check the air supply itself, it's probably labeled.

For a larger tank, when the heater is actually turned on, 400 watts could easily be correct. Remember, your heater and lights don't run 24/7. Or, at least, they shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom