Totally lost here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob8619

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have searched the internet and found conflicting information/opinions, I have been to the local fish shops and I fear I was possibly being told certain things just in hopes of making a bigger sale.

Never had a saltwater aquarium before and I am looking at buying 55 gallon tank soon. I do not want to do a reef tank I just want to get fish only or FOWLR. I hear that the live rock is all the filtration one needs???

The LFS said a hang on back filter will work but eventually I will have nitrate problems. True or false?

I understand sumps help keep things out of the big tank and I have a 15 gallon tank here that I could turn into a sump if thats really the way to go.

Then theres the question of refugiums. Some places I read that they are great and other places I read that they arent necessary.

A lot of questions here I know but if you all could help me find my way I would be thankful.

Well live rock is a method of filtration (bio), but mechanical filtration would be highly recommended too. A HOB would work, but since it's such a large tank, a canister filter would work better.

I think the best filtration would be the sump/refugium. A refugium is not necessary, and the main purpose is not reducing nitrates, but usually for growing macroalgae and pods that would otherwise be eaten by certain fish in the DT (display tank). The sump is used pretty much for protein skimmers that aren't HOB. It's best to overdo it, so a skimmer rated up to around 100 gallons would be best. The size of that skimmer might not fit in 15 gallon, especially if you're wanting a refugium.

Thanks for the information.

I don't want a refugium unless its a must. And unfortunately the internet has me all confused on whats a must because some say do it some say live rock and a protein skimmer is fine.

There are HOB rated up to 100gal but if you got an extra tank why not buy an in sump skimmer they work waaaayyy better. 15gal for a sump is just fine but you may not have a decent space for a fuge.

So if I turn it into a sump and put a skimmer in there, with rock in the display tank, I should be ok?

My 55 has a HOB canister filter and it's doing fine. I'm not so good with all the plumbing so I decided not to keep a fuge.

Hang on the back filters dont cause nitrate probs that's what I run on my tanks. They just need to be cleaned regularly. I reccomend the marine land bio wheel 350. Are you in las vegas just wondering lol.

No I'm in FL. Lol why? You use the hang on back by itself? No protein skimmer?

I will be getting a protein skimmer yes I don't have one yet I have a 29 its not really needed at that size. but at 55 it is highly recommended they have ones that also hang on the back. The las vegas question was just because someone came into the lfs i work at the other day with like the same questions lol.

Oh haha. I guess I'm not alone in my confusion. Ok so with a 55 gallon, if I get a HOB filter rated for 100gallon and a HOB skimmer I should be good to go?

Cool thanks for the help! I do have another question though, I heard of people just using tap water for 55 gallon FOWLR tanks stating that since its only 55 gallons it doesnt require much for water changes. Bad idea?

Depends on your tap water, but usually tap water is a bad idea. Tap water has things in it that have either been added to kill things( chlorine, etc) or has been leached out of pipes/the ground( iron, pollution, etc) that are bad for fish. Also Tap water tends to have higher levels of nitrates( dissolved organic solids) that are harmless to humans, but will contribute to algae growth in an aquarium.

RODI or reverse osmosis deionized water is the way to go. With a tank your size you'll save money buying a RODI unit for use at home. A weekly water change will be between 5 and 10 gallons in a 55 and you're going to pay between10-20 dollars for that much RODI at a LFS. PLUS you'll need top off water to compensate for evaporation and youll want to keep at least 10-15 gallons on standby should an emergency arise. It stings a bit up front (~200 bucks) but in the long run its worth it. for the convenience and the cost.

TL;DR dont use tap water youll have algae problems, get an RODI unit

Back
Top Bottom