Tower 40'' in tall: light and habbitans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

changeling

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a tower tank which is 24'' * 24'' and 40'' tall for freshwater. I know all the cons like maintanance etc. But there were now way to fit a standard size...
Anyway here it is and now I've got some first questions.

1. Which bulb can light it properly?

I was thinking about MH but not sure about the power and bulb quantity. If MH is a right choice, do I still need to mix it with LED or Tx bulbs?

2. Is there a chance to have a plants there? Or there is no way other than artificials?

3. Can anyone suggest a fish for this tank? We prefer bright and colourful, not too small.

4. Do I need an UV sterilizer and a heater (taking into account MH bulb heat)?

TIA for any input. Sorry for silly questions - I'm a novice :)

A single MH bulb on a pendant, should work. it will add heat to the room. Plants will be a problem in that choosing the right ones will depend on the actual amount of light , but should be doable. A heater would still be necessary for when the light is off, if the fish require it. The footprint is the limiting factor for the number and types of fish you can keep.There is no way to get away from it being a 2 foot tank.

BillD: thanks. Still unclear abot the power of MH bulb. If I put just one - there is a question about plants. If more - would it be safe as the upper layer temperature might be too high.

And about fish, taking into account our dimensions could somebody recommend which and how many will feel comfortable in such a tower tank?

Back
Top Bottom