Transfering extisting tank into a new larger tank (longish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I am looking to move up to a larger tank, either a 75 or a 90 and I want to get all your opinions on my plan of action.

Specs for my current tank are
37gal, 50# LR; 15# LS; Seaclone Skimmer; added aquaclear HOB filter for carbon and phosphate filtration, Coralife Lunar PC fixture, 130wts
1 yellowtail damsel; 1 coral beauty; 1 purple dottyback; cleanup crew
1 open brain coral; 1 colt coral.

This tank will be in operation during the set up of the new tank. No livestock additions will be made and regular maintenance will proceed.

Step 1
Order additional LV (50#). I want to cure this in a 40gal tub of saltwater with a heater and powerhead. I was thinking, if I add some raw shrimp, can I cycle this water as if it were a tank? This would give me an additional 40gal of cycled water when I make the transfer. Should I run a skimmer or other type of filter while I cycle? 6-8weeks

Step 2
Order new equipment, Remora EV in sump skimmer, Coralife 48” MH/PC fixture, tank, stand and overflow box., additional powerheads.

Step 3
I was planning on using 3-10gal buckets and placing 1 fish in each bucket with some of my water and LR from the original tank. Transfer LS and add additional LS and aquascape with all rocks into the new tank. Transfer remaining water, add “new” cycled water and some fresh saltwater from my LFS. Acclimate fish and viola, a new tank. 4hrs

Sump will only be 25gal from on old family tank. Will the Remora EV fit? It seems to have pretty small dimensions. Should I add LR or anything else into the sump. I am still going to have some type of mechanical filter for added phosphate protection, as well as activated carbon. What about a wet/dry canister filter? If I use this, I can also use its pump to return the water from the sump. Oh yeah, I will have 1 heater in the tank and one in the sump. Is this ok?

Anything else I should consider?

Sorry for the long post. All opinions help, as I am worried about losing my current fish during the transfer.

Thanks

John

Good idea curing the new LR in the rubbermaid tub. The shrimp isnt a good idea in my opinion, as the water itself does not cycle. The bacteria in the cycle are on the rock, sand, etc, and not the water. The rock will cycle iteself actually as there will be die-off, no matter how quickly it is shipped to you. Just keep it in the tub, and do a water change at least every other day. If you have a spare skimmer, you can skim that water too but it's not necessary.

Putting your fish in the buckets with their tank water is a good odea. Use an airstone in the meantine to keep the water areated and lessen ammonia spikes.

Good luck! Sounds like it will be as quick and painless as possible for you based on your plans.

Ok.

Also, if I were to buy uncured base rock, how long should I expect it to take to cure? I was looking at HIROCKS.COM and it looks like I could have a lot of money by buying uncured base rock and curing it myself, especially since I am in no rush to complete this.

Thanks

Use a rubbermaid tub to cure them in with regular SW, a pump and a heater (if necessary). Do a water change at least every other day. Scrub the rocks with a toothbrush or similar brush to get all the dead junk off them. It sounds funny, but smelll the rocks. When they smell like the ocean, they are cured and ready to go into the main tank. If they smell like funk, they are not yet cured. The curing process depends on how much die-off was on the rocks during shipping. Not being in a rush is the best position to be in. Nothing good comes quickly with this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom