Transparent Knife F

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalaGuppieGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Fiance picked this fish out. It was the only one he picked for our new tank. We both loved him very much and named him Slick. I read up on him and read that they often die within the first 30 days but are very hardy after that. Slick lasted 2 weeks. I have no idea why! My levels were good. Im getting them re-tested today though after this, temperature was good, plenty of hiding places, and no one else is sick at all. I know that he is scaleless and much more susceptible to everything but what!? Only 5 hours ago he was swimming, good color, and eating! Everything looked great. We went to a friends Halloween party and came home to him dead. :_( Any advice????

I don't recall the specifics of your tank. Could you tell us size and stock again?

I have a 60 gal with three balas, a high fin pleco, and fancy guppies. I just had the water tested again and its great. My ph is 7. The fish store employee said he has never seen that in 8 years. There is no amonia. The only thing bad was my nitrites are a bit high. I have to do a water change.

I don't recall the specifics of your tank. Could you tell us size and stock again?

I remember clearly it was a 60g with 3 Bala's in it. I informed her in her first post that the Bala's were best suited for a 75 min and the GKF for at least 100 as they can get to 16".

I would attribute the death to stress and not water.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I have a 60 gal with three balas, a high fin pleco, and fancy guppies. I just had the water tested again and its great. My ph is 7. The fish store employee said he has never seen that in 8 years. There is no amonia. The only thing bad was my nitrites are a bit high. I have to do a water change.

Your water is not great if your nitrites are a bit high. That may be the only thing bad, but it's a big thing. How high was it?

I cant remember the exact number off the top of my head but they said it wasn't that bad. It was the only thing off in the tank at all. I am doing a 20% water change now as suggested by the pet store.

My balas are still babies right now. I know how big they get and plan to upgrade my tank with their growth. :)

Balas... they are like a pack of wolves, need lots of space to roam, kudos on the numbers though. They do like company.. a cycled tank should only show nitrates, no more than 30 ppm. You'll need a proper liquid test kit to monitor these levels yourself. As a responsible fish keeper you should have no trouble keeping any stock you like. Relying on a bloviating lfs employee speaking of a ph of 7 like it's haleys comet will not do.you much good;) test water and change it until your nitrates are never above 20-25..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just proud of the ph. I understand what your saying. I just did a water change and am testing again. Thanks for the advice.

meh sometimes guppies up and die for no reason. The best thing to do is put them in a hospital tank and quaranteen them and rid them of disease and parasites before you put in main tank, if you decide to get several at one time.

Back
Top Bottom