Transplanting soft coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Guilefish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this coral in said picture, and there are two of them attached to the same live rocks chip, and I was wondering how or if I can take off the smaller one to put it else where in my tank? Also if anyone knows what its called that would be nice...

Attachments

• soft coral.jpg
    soft coral.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 324
Sweet, now can I move one?

Does look like a hairy mushroom.

To move one would require cutting the liverock its attached to in order to separate them or by cutting the actual coral itself and reattaching it to a new piece of rock.

The second option being the more difficult, time consuming and poses the greater risk to the coral.

A dremel with a cutoff wheel is capable of cutting through live rock. You described the rock as a chip so it should be pretty easy.

That's a hairy mushroom. I bought one yesterday.

image-2023004072.jpg

It has 8 caps I think. From what I've read, they are very hardy and reproduce quickly in most water conditions. Cut one in half and you get two. I wouldn't try but it's supposed to be pretty easy with these things.

Interesting thank you, I used the demel to separate them and it worked great. When the one I have gets bigger I might be willing to risk cutting one in half, but for now two is fine. If you don't mine me asking purple polyp how much did you pay for it?

Back
Top Bottom