transporting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we are moving house, not our original location but about 450miles via car. I will have my tank in a trailer ready to set up as soon as we arrive at our destination but I'm wondering a few things.

How do I transport the fish?
Can I save the filter BB?

I thought of using large plastic tubs with battery operated air stones. I'm wondering though if they will slosh around a lot in the water and become stressed? Maybe fish bags are better?

I have 4 adult mollies and about 25 juvies (plus by the time we move highly likely more fry).

Any tips?

Thanks Elise.
Now assuming I can get some large bags (do you know anywhere online?) Do I put one fish per bag?

My fry, how many of them per bag?

How will the shrimp travel? Should I put them in say two or three bags with plants? (around 60 shrimp)

cheeky_monkey said:
Thanks Elise.
Now assuming I can get some large bags (do you know anywhere online?) Do I put one fish per bag?

My fry, how many of them per bag?

How will the shrimp travel? Should I put them in say two or three bags with plants? (around 60 shrimp)

I don't know anywhere online (never had to look) but maybe ask your LFS if you can buy some? Depending on the size of the bag 1-3 adult fish and the fry (depending on their size) 5-10 or so I'd think. I would put plants or sponge for the shrimp to cling to. I have heard they can die of stress if left sloshing about.

Ok so I might put my male on his own and my girls in pairs to keep them company. I have an older juvie who gets along well with the girls so she will make the second pair.

I worry about my shrimp as there are lots of babies, too many to count and there are likely to be more before the move.

I will ask the lfs about bags too, he's usually quite helpful so we shall see.

Well just a little update. We've arrived safe and sound. All of our adult and juvenile fish arrived safe and well and are set up temporarily in their tank again until our house is ready.

I did lose half my fry population and a few shrimp but I think we did well overall.

My bags never arrived so I transported them in 3 x 55litre containers and kept water in the canister filter and the sponge filters submersed.

The only complaint I have is our removalist is late (by a week!) So I've had to go buy a new heater which was packed in a box and its considerably cooler down here at night.

So all doing well!

Back
Top Bottom