Treat Ich, but keep Fry alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TashGaia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone know a good way to treat ich, but keep platy fry alive?

I did not follow my normal quarenteen procedures, and guess what, that's the one time I got a sick fish. (Alright, I've purchased three sick fish in 3 and a half years, but the other two, I caught because of quarenteen.) The fish was put into the tank less then two weeks ago.

I have never had Ich before, but it sounds fairly straightforward... just one problem. I have some very nice fry in the tank and I really want them to survive it. They are black and white high fin tuxedo a little less then one month old.

I'm afraid of moving the fry for fear of infecting another tank (and I never have much success moving fry anyways), but I am afraid to treat the tank they are in with medications for fear of killing them.

Tank:
30 Gallon
Freshwater with 1tsp Salt / Gallon
Temp 80 F
Parameters 0, 0, <10
PH 7.5 - 7.8
Filter AquaClear 200 Media: sponge, Biofilter, Ammonia Remover
Standard: 25% WC Twice a week with gravel vaccuum

Fish:
10 Adult platies
3 older juvenile platies
~20 black/white tuxedo highfin fry in net breeder
40-100 assorted fry (loose in tank)
2 Mystery Snails
1 cory cat
2 Ottos

Fish Behavior:
A few adults have small white spots on fins
Slightly raised breathing in all adults
Some adults are rubbing on things and flicking around the tank

Please? Doesn't anyone know a way that will keep the fry alive? I really don't want these babies to die.

Hm, salt will kill ich and higher temps will also but the temp would have to be over 86F, if you don't want to use meds, maybe slowly up the temp to 82 and add a little more salt?

Here's an excellent article on ich:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32

I have never had fry, but I wouldn't want to subject them to meds either. You could try the heat treatment. The temp does have to be above 86 degrees to kill the ich; otherwise, a higher temp below 86 just makes the ich multiply more quickly. Don't increase the temperature too quickly, though - the article suggests 1 degree every 6 to 12 hours.

Since platies like salt in their water anyway, maybe using salt would be a good option for the fry. The article suggests 2-3 ppm above what the tank is nomally kept at. Raise the salt level by 1 ppm a day.

Many people here have had success with the heat-only treatment. Remember that higher temps decrease the oxygen in the water, so increased aeration is necessary. If this would be too stressful for fry (either the heat or the aeration) though, you could try the salt method. Good luck!

My palty is in a 2.5 gal fry tank I just set up. She is due any day. I see one spot of white on her right now. Should I go ahead and kick the temp up and add the salt, or wait for more spots. And In my main tank on another palty I also see one white spot in almost the same spot. NO other spots on any fish yet. Just did a 30% water change today. I don't want to use chemicals becuase I have shrimp, and want plants soon. Guess it is better to kick the temp up for a few days before adding the salt just to be on the safe side, right? What is the correct temp, I have seen 86f and 88f.

Guess it is better to kick the temp up for a few days before adding the salt just to be on the safe side, right? What is the correct temp, I have seen 86f and 88f.
(y) 86*F and make sure there is plenty of aeration.

Back
Top Bottom