Treating with Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I just started treating my tank with Melafix for my Gourami which had some two red open sores on its body. I put the first dose in and was wondering what I should be looking for to stop treatment. The bottle says 5ml per 10 gal everyday for 7 days then do a 25% water change. Do I continue treatment if the sores persist or stop after the pwc and then add my carbon bag into my filter ? The bottle just says continue if neccesary, just looking for some insight to the process.

Thanks in advance

I've read but not tested it myself that Melafix and its bretheren Pimafix are not good to use with Gouramis.
The reason being that they are labyrith(sp?) fish. That is they breathe air from the surface.

The Mela/Pima is an oil and coats the top of the water. This prevents the fish from getting the O2. It also has been reported to irritate the labyrith organ.

I've heard the same thing but have used melafix and pimafix with my gourami's several times with no deaths or illnesses. If you want to be safe reather than sorry, don't risk it. What are your current water parameters? The best cure is water changes and pristine water. What size tank do you have?

55 Gallon Tank
Whisper 60 Filter
Aquaclear 70 Filter (Only two weeks old, waiting for awhile before removing whisper)

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 20 ppm

The water was crystal clear until I started treating with Melafix, now its dull but not what I would call cloudy. I noticed a different type of wound on one of my head and tail light tetras yesterday, it looks something took a bite out of its side. Hoping the Melafix will help it get better as well.

Melafix can make the water cloudy that is normal. Keep an eye on your gourami's with the treatment. The gourami's may have to be QT'd and treated with stronger meds if you see no improvement in the next day or so. Open red sores may be more than melafix can repair. Keep an eye on your parameters and if need be do water changes should your parameters climb up.

As for the tetra, anyone in the tank possibly harrassing it?

The gourami seem so be improving a bit, there was some whiteness developing around the sores that is gone and the sore doesnt appear as raised up as it was. Most importantly is he is swimming around instead of hiding behind some plants at the top of the tank.

There is a large Platy that I have seen be pretty aggresive towards other of its kind, but havent really seen any of that behavior towards the tetras. Although the group of five tetras have been schooling together tightly and more frequently which may mean they feel threatened.

I've read in a different thread that it's okay to even lower the water when treating with melafix, however, between the two filters that would make the water a lot more active and ultimately add stress to your fish. I'd suggest running both your Whisper 60 and Aquaclear 70 at max staff in this tank as long as you can, and raise the water level to an inch from overflow in order to decrease the cascade and ultimate water movement. Do a PWC and monitor your fishes behavior. This seems like a case of community aggressors. Also, I would avoid adding fish to this tank for at least a month, as will as avoiding the addition of any fish that is questionably aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom