Trimming plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some rotala indica/rotundifloria and jungle Val that are sending out runners. How/when should I trim these and plant them on their own?

Attachments

• image-3504069197.jpg
    image-3504069197.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-4226181912.jpg
    image-4226181912.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2385137277.jpg
    image-2385137277.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 73
I've got corkscrew val and once that little val has a few little root, snip and replant. I have rotala indica and I have just clipped off tops when they got too tall and replanted them. No roots needed. That stuff is spreading so fast Its almost becoming a pest in the butt.

That almost looks more like sagittaria than val.

The "vals" don't need to be snipped unless you want to move them. I would let them put on a few more inches before you snipped them just to be sure he'll make.

The rotala on the other hand can be treated just like trimming a normal stem. I would probably leave them like they are so that they grow bushier.

aqua_chem said:
That almost looks more like sagittaria than val.

The "vals" don't need to be snipped unless you want to move them. I would let them put on a few more inches before you snipped them just to be sure he'll make.

The rotala on the other hand can be treated just like trimming a normal stem. I would probably leave them like they are so that they grow bushier.

Ok thanks. I looked up pictures of both the sagittaria and jungle val and I can't tell the difference. I got the plant from a member on the forum so I believe him. I already trimmed the plants so I guess it's a little late but I will wait longer next time.

I would like my rotala to be bushier but when I let it go all of the lower leaves die and it looks terrible, just a stem.

Sounds light a light or CO2 issue with the leaf loss.

Vals get much taller than sag. If it's more than 5-6" or so, it's probably a val. Vals also grow up whereas sag grow out more.

Back
Top Bottom