trimming Vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my new 300 gallon tank I have a bunch of different Vals. They are spreading throughout the tank like crazy. One type of Val is in the background of the tank and is the longer type. The tank is 24" tall and 30" wide. The Vals Have grown to the surface and a crossed to the front of the tank. Crazy!!! Can I just cut them to the height I want and trim them weekly? Will this hurt them in any way and would this be considered proper trimming practices with Vals.

I have a question on another plant in the tank and how to trim it but I don't know the name. I will post a pic shortly and maybe someone can identify it for me and give me the proper trimming procedures.

Thank you

im just gonna watch this post and see what kind of replies you get. I have corkscrew vals in my tank but they haven't reached the top yet!

with my anacharis i just break it off when it gets to tall but thats how it propigates... i don't know howwell it would work with the vals..

You just trim them yes. I keep mine about 1" londer thatn the surface of the water. Every week I trim em just like giving a haircut.

You can trim them, but to me it is not the best solution. There are many varieties of val that grow to many different lengths; you already have some. Get rid of the ones that don't fit (sell them). I say that because, while tromming won't kill them, it makes them unsightly.

Personally, I either trim the plants and throw the trimmed parts away, or with the ones that I can replant i cut them off and replant them. of course my tank has been taken over by plants now, so I am in the process of just throwing plants away.

i found that if i cut the leaves of vals, the cut edges get yellow and begin to die. i would either just let them grow, or cut the leaf from the base, and let the new leaves grow in. jmo.

Back
Top Bottom