true colors.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
when will my molly fry show there true colors. they are two weeks old and are still plain silver. the mom is a silver molly, and the dad is either a dalmatian molly or a creamcicle lyretail molly. so i dont know what the color options are.

They will be silver when they grow up. I'm not sure what the percentage will be with lyretails and I'm not sure if the lyretail gene is sex linked, I would need to pull out my notes. But usually in mollies the color is evident at birth. To be fair, I have had mollies develop some black pigment after maturity. Bill

well im almost certain the father is the lyretail, because the dalmatian molly died a few months ago and she got pregnant again two days after the first batch.

Mollies, like guppies and platies and swordtails can all have multiple broods after being fertilized by one male. So if the dalmation fertilized her then she could have young resulting from that mating up to 5 or 6 times. Even without ever being with him again. And the same thing applies to fish bought at the store. If a female is mixed in with many types of males then it matters not what male you buy to accompany her, she is no doubt carrying young from a male she was exposed to in the store, or the wholesaler. And will continue to drop young from that male even if she is alone with a male of your choice.

last i heard.. mollys can store sperm for up to 6 months. so technically 3 batches of fry can come without a male present.

YouTube - my 55 gallon so this is my 55 gallon. the mollys are in here for the next month then my cichlids are going in. so i dont think you can really see them that well. i might have a few pics posted later it up to my fiance its her camera and she gets crazy over it.

so i was told that lyretail mollys cant impregnate any female mollys, something to do with there sexual organs. does anyone know anything about this.

so i was told that lyretail mollys cant impregnate any female mollys, something to do with there sexual organs. does anyone know anything about this.

Lyretail mollies can impregnate female mollies. A lyretail has no impact on the sex organs. There ARE livebearers that DO have enlarged or elongated gonopodiums that are incapable of copulation. Certain guppys like Geisens(sp) and certain long finned swordtails have gonopodiums that are not able to function normally. But I have not seen mollys with this feature, does not mean they do not exist, but lyretails typically have no problem breeding. Can you tell me where you heard this? I hate misinformation. Bill

a guy i know that works at petsmart told me that, but he said thats what someone told him and he wasnt sure if it was true.

Back
Top Bottom