True or False about substrates(gravel, sand, ect.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

True or False: Substrate a pund per gallon?????!!!!!!?!?!?!

• True: You need 1 lb per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • False: Put whatever seems like enough for you

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would only add algae eaters to a tank that has algae, if it's all new including decorations, then you will be supplimenting them with algae pellets until some grows for them to eat..

As for filters, I've heard good things about the Auaclear 500 with a piece of foam on the intake (it's pretty powerful and can catch fish) it should do well if you can add a bio media to it (biomax rings or ehiems bio media, can't remember the name, something strat)

Are you planning on having live or fake plants? If you use fake plants, fish should not be eating on them. If you plan on having live plants, some fish will eat certain types. Fish love to hide in plants and caves, so you should definately have plenty of hiding places. You will need to have adequate lighting and suppliments for live plants.

do i need a serious filter setup like you know those side boxes with filters

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. Possibly a saltwater setup? For a 55 gal I strongly recommend using a Canister type filter instead of a hob. I currently use a Cascade 1000 and absolutely love it. They are quiet and tuck neatly under the tank so nothing can be seen except the intake and output tubes. I can definately notice the noise with the hob's but can't with the canisters. They are more expensive, but definately worth it in the long run.

After reading your second post, it appears that you are using live plants, correct? If so, you need to know which fish you plan to keep and find out which plants they will eat. It shouldn't harm the fish, but your plants won't grow to their full potential. Am I right on that one? Someone with more experience with planted tanks, please confirm or deny.

i can put my plants in there wait about a day and add my algae eaters

Do you mean Pleco's or the actual species of Algae Eaters, such as Chinese Algae Eaters? If you are referring to Pleco's, do not add them at this stage. You need to let your tank cycle first and start to grow algae.

Are you planning to do a fishless cycle or a fish cycle? If you have the patience of a 2 year old (I did when I first started fish keeping) look into more hearty fish, such as the guppy to cycle with. Some fish stores will let you return them when you are done with your cycle and they will give you money back. It won't be the full price you paid.

After re-reading what I wrote, you probably meant a hob as the "side box". Some people prefer the hob's and some prefer Canisters. For a tank this size, you should definately have a canister.

thi kind of filter that i was talking about is like the Aquaclear 500 thats what i mean it hangs off the edge of the tank those are what im asking if i need them

also i dont think i have 200$ to spend on a filter i need something cheap

oh wait nevermind it always helps when you read the fine print but do and LFS 's sell those?

Fishyfanatic,
ill need you to tell me how to work that one cause if i have the money i might get that filter

do the "Moonlights" preduce enough lights for you plants? do they keep your fish healthy i think they are cool but i dont know if it will help me and my tank

Canister filters for a 55 gal should not run you $200. We got ours for $120 but that was at a high priced lfs. At the time I didn't know that it was high priced until I started price comparing online. You can purchase one from Big Al's Online for a lot cheaper. I think I saw one for $70 or $80.

I don't mean for this to offend you, but they have idiot proof directions that come with the Cascade's. I say "Idiot Proof" because I actually figured it out the first time through and when it comes to mechanics, I am an idiot. I still have to watch everytime I take the filter pads out of the hob's to make sure I am putting them back in correctly. I don't want to make myself sound stupid, but we have 4 tanks with 4 different types of filtration units, and we do water changes on the same day for all tanks. I've found this to be the easiest way to do it beacuse then you have one day that your house is wet and dirty with the hose flopping around the living room. This gets a little chaotic with the cat jumping around and tipping over the buckets and pawing at the fish. Nemo (my cat) just LOVES to bat at the fish. He's finally getting the Garfield personality in him.

I'm not sure about lighting for live plants. I personally don't have live plants because the cichlid's will eat most of them. As far as the other tanks, I do way too much redecorating to be able to keep them alive. I like to move everything around once a month. Like a new "Paint job" for the fish house.

now only i need help with this question
when im filling up my tanks sand: goes in first or goes in last? help me

If this is a new tank, put the sand in first. As you fill the tank it is gonna get so cloudy you won't believe it, even though you may have rinsed it very well, but it should settle down over several hours, possibly a day.

If you are using a hose to fill the tank, then point it at the side of the tank to minimize the stirring of the water, If using a pail, put a dinner plate at the bottom, and pour the water onto the plate, it will stop the impact on the sand that causes it to stir right up.

Also, leave your filters off until the sand settles, otherwise your filter could grind to a halt..

Rudy_627 said:

Yes.

That is a most excellent tip pointed out by Wizzard, to place an object like a plate or something to deflect the force of the water and keep it from displacing so much sand. Also very important to protect your filter from sand.

well i found out im not using sand so should i doo all this same stuff with the gravel????

Back
Top Bottom