trumpet snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got my 55 gallon tank all set up. Im using sand and i read that trumpet snails can be really good or completely overrun ur tank. Any ideas on how many I should start with or if getting them is a bad idea?

I finally got my 55 gallon tank all set up. Im using sand and i read that trumpet snails can be really good or completely overrun ur tank. Any ideas on how many I should start with or if getting them is a bad idea?

I keep all kinds of snails in my tanks. Ramshorn, Pond, and MTS. They all serve a purpose. MTS are probably my favorite as they do not even consider eating any plants. They burrow, which will reduce the build up of anaerobic spots (although that takes a long time to build up to be dangerous).

Just control how much you feed your fish and you control the snail population. :)

For a 55? You can start with 10 or so. My LFS has so many of them, that they will give you some for free!

hiya :)

hi there, i bought a batch of trumpet snails,id read that a lot of fishkeepers really like them, i had a load of snails that came in from some plants once and ended up with a decent population but i didnt mind as my daughters turtle eats aquatic snails and are a good love food for him and i had loads, i think these common ones are called ramshorns ,but i ended up losing them all when i had a mini cycle in my tank.
So got a batch of about 20 MTS and the turtle had about 6 then i put rest in tank hoping to get a decent population for both my tank and turtle but they all died so i took them out and a few back found a one on one of my rocks alive and well !!! :), and now found another today,they great little snails and i read they are hermaphrodites and ive got 2 so hope they will reproduce,good luck with yours !!!

Thanks. Im gonna wait a couple weeks till my tank gets more established and then ill start with 10 and see what happens

Thanks. Im gonna wait a couple weeks till my tank gets more established and then ill start with 10 and see what happens

Cool,you don't see them much during day as they usually are burying in sand but one of mine was out on rock yesterday so they do come out sometimes,i like the shape of their shells :)

Mine stay in during the light hours and start coming out right before the last lights are due to go out. Seems like they know when the timer kicks off. Then by morning usually all but a small amount are already back in the substrate. Personally I like having them in my tanks.

Mine stay in during the light hours and start coming out right before the last lights are due to go out. Seems like they know when the timer kicks off. Then by morning usually all but a small amount are already back in the substrate. Personally I like having them in my tanks.

I like mine too :) i was chuffed when i found them as i thought i had lost them all :)

Back
Top Bottom